my defective art

Started by
10 comments, last by Steve_Segreto 10 years, 10 months ago

Noone can even tell what this picture is, whom ive showed, if a game came out with this graphics, would it really bother you?

sunset.png

Advertisement

Looks like a waterfall, running water in the foreground, some leafless trees in the back, and I think I even see some skulls/heads piled on the near bank of the water at the bottom, a guy with a sword on the far bank, and a dude hanging from one of the trees. That, or this is the most fucked up Rorschach inkblot ever.

The picture, on its own, is kind of intriguing. It hints more than anything. If that background were moving/animated, it might make it a whole lot harder to read, but that might also add an element of menace to the feel of the game. If you were toodling along, just barely paying attention, and all of a sudden, "oh, whoa, that dude is hanging there. Are those effing skulls?" it could be kind of fun.

I'd say do a quick and small prototype to nail down the feel and show it to some folks. If it works, run with it. I would give it a play.

I have seen the same things that FleBlanc said above.But to tell the truth,it's hard to understand why you make such graphic.I am wondering what will you do next?

http://www.game-silkroad.com
info_game@silkroadcg.com

But to tell the truth,it's hard to understand why you make such graphic.

^This. I can see the person with the sword, the hanging person, the skulls, and the waterfall/river. But it's kind of physically painful to look at, and I don't understand what the style is supposed to add that would make up for its difficulty of interpretation.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Oh, someone even spotted the skulls!

It is indeed a strange style, I need to soften the harshness a bit, more colours would help distinguish things.

Its my own personal art program, and it has weaknesses which I have to remedy.

It's funny, because from what I've seen you're actually pretty good with art.
It's just hard to tell because whatever you use seems to have you scratching out the lights with some sort of pseudo dodge tool-- thus the harshness.
More colors would probably help, but that isn't entirely it,.. But I can't put my finger on it right now and I'm pressed for time.

The only other thing I'll say is don't self depreciate yourself in the title like that. People assume things that will either influence their view of your art, or won't even come and look.

It's funny, because from what I've seen you're actually pretty good with art.
It's just hard to tell because whatever you use seems to have you scratching out the lights with some sort of pseudo dodge tool-- thus the harshness.
More colors would probably help, but that isn't entirely it,.. But I can't put my finger on it right now and I'm pressed for time.

I think the contrast is the problem. It's physically difficult for eyes to look at such high contrast as between the saturated yellow areas and the black texturing.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

I think ive solved my problem, instead of working on black, i actually work light to dark and do a bit of soft underwork then the details come out less harsh.

viola-> (exact same artist)

goodart.png

All I need now is multicolour! and i can stamp my way through a golden axe level.

Ahh, that's looking a little more readable! I think you need to study value a little, but unfortunately I don't have any links handy for you...
But yeah, perhaps some value studies will aid you, since sometimes the tones blend into each other just a little too much to be readable.

I would love to see a game in this style. Not that I have any suggestions as to what that would be, it'd be nice with a really artistic look, maybe even a bit of surrealism. Could give a very distinct look to make you stand out. Just make sure to work as much on the actual gameplay as the style, I've seen a lot of games with brilliant artwork, that aren't much fun to play.

Keep going man, looking forward to seeing the development here!

Petter Stenberg Hansen

3d artist/Developer

10ahead Games

www.10aheadgames.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement