The AI in my game engine tries to learn to fly a space ship (video)

Started by
7 comments, last by Vexal 10 years, 10 months ago

This is the result of putting an AI in the ship that attempts to keep the ship level when balls are thrown at it. The ship has 13 thrusters total, which the AI fires off to apply torque to attempt to counteract its change in orientation and velocity. The results are amusing.

Advertisement

This is the result of putting an AI in the ship that attempts to keep the ship level when balls are thrown at it. The ship has 13 thrusters total, which the AI fires off to apply torque to attempt to counteract its change in orientation and velocity. The results are amusing.

It was doing so well! :(

It was doing so well! sad.png

Yeah, it seemed like it was doing better at the beginning.

I was trying to make a PID controller for keeping it level, but it's not stable so it begins to oscillate further and further until it passes a threshold and explodes.

You need some serious damping there.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Impressive. Unstable equilibrium FTW! The explosion at the end is strangely fitting.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

I'll post an update once I get the kinks out.

Show that to someone who's scared of flying and then tell him "don't worry, we're on autopilot!"

Some ships will crash when just a bird hits them!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement