Sign in to follow this  
Zokk

Tile-less Isometric Engine?

Zokk    113

Is there any 2D/2.5D isometric game engine available out there that uses a coordinate system, rather than a tile-based system? I'm getting tired of seeing all of these tile-based game engines out there for isometric games. I think coordinate-based games look so much better than tile-based ones. I'm looking for an engine that replicates the seamless backgrounds seen in games like Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment, rather than the blocky tiled environments of RPG Maker games and the like, which seem to be everywhere.

As they say in the PS:T vision document: "Tiling is for bathrooms, not games."

frob    44920
Just about any 3D engine can do it.

Isometric view is just a specific viewing angle and camera configuration. You can use nearly any 3D game engine that you want, just constrain the camera to a height and angle to get your isometric viewpoint. It is easier to get an oblique projection than a pure isometric projection, but that's just an implementation detail.

Zokk    113

That's some good info, there.

I guess I should also mention that I've already done a fair amount of research on the infinity engine, and read a lot of developer interviews with the Black Isle's developers about how they created their Infinity Engine games. I've also been digging around in my PS:T files using Infinity Explorer to see how various stuff works, as well. On top of that, I've downloaded GemRB, and have been looking for tutorials on how to use it to create a new game, but there's virtually no documentation or tutorials out there for doing that- at least not that I've found.

I've thought about trying to develop a prototype using CryENGINE 3 or Unity, but I'm not sure if I want to go that route or not, yet.

Edited by Zokk

Plethora    687

You may want to check out the game Phantom Brave for PS2 (there are also Wii and PSP ports of it).  It's a radically different game than BG or PS:T, but it uses randomly generated terrain on which the player can freely roam (ie, not tile based).  It uses 2d sprite assets in a 3D world, therefore the view is restricted to a more or less isometric view (with predefined rotations allowed).

At the very least it might give you more to think about.

FLeBlanc    3141

You may want to check out the game Phantom Brave for PS2 (there are also Wii and PSP ports of it).  It's a radically different game than BG or PS:T, but it uses randomly generated terrain on which the player can freely roam (ie, not tile based).  It uses 2d sprite assets in a 3D world, therefore the view is restricted to a more or less isometric view (with predefined rotations allowed).

At the very least it might give you more to think about.

phantom-brave.jpeg
phantom_bravepic5.jpg

Looks tile-based to me. Tile-based doesn't necessarily mean you are restricted to tile-by-tile movement; just that the world is built up from tiles, or building blocks, that are usually aligned on a grid.

You can get pretty complicated with a tile-based scheme. Look at Torchlight 2, for example. It uses the concept of tiles, or chunks, only the tiles are large and can be complex. Play a few levels of TL2 and you can start to see the pieces that repeat.

Plethora    687

Looks tile-based to me. Tile-based doesn't necessarily mean you are restricted to tile-by-tile movement; just that the world is built up from tiles, or building blocks, that are usually aligned on a grid.

True enough.  I was more thinking in terms of tile (grid) based movement, that's why it popped into my head.  However, the OP was clearly talking graphics, not movement, therefore I stand correct.  :)