• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Alessio1989

Loading game's data with SQL or what?

This topic is 1946 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What's a good, easy and decently fast way to load game's data (textures, 3D models, sounds, etc ) into memory?

I was thinking about SQL since it's pretty easy do use and maintain (as far I know), but I'm not sure about that.

Maybe should I write my own format or just use something like an XML-like manager for loading every single object without a "container/zip/db" (or whatever is the appropriate name)?

I'm currently using C++ as main language (MSVC++11), and probably I'm going to use AngelScript as scripting language.

I'm a beginner and I'm completely new about this theme, so any advise will be very appreciate.

Edited by Alessio1989

Advertisement

Generally they are just kept on disk in regular files, not SQL databases.

Often you will have tools to compile the files into a more compressed or quickly-loaded format, but that is just a file format thing.  

You can also use systems like PhysFS that will store data in a compressed archive and additionally search a local directory tree, that type of system allows you to modify assets more easily during development and then rely only on the compressed archive for final shipped builds.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!