• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Olle H

[TonesOfTales] Make your own card game and play it online

This topic is 2029 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all!

I'm currently working on a website which let users play and create card games. Today I published the first alpha version and would like some feedback, if anyone feel so inclined. Much appreciated.

Here's the page to register an account: http://tonesoftales.com/cgi-bin/drakskatten?op=add_user&module=user

(Password is hashed, but there's NO SSL, so please don't use your strong password.)

At the moment it's only possible to pick up cards, not play them. I've made a small demo game called "Markus", where players pick a card each turn. The player who gets the knight of spades is "Markus" (looser, winner?).

Do you think this is a concept that will work? Will people be interested of making card games, for no money? Please, tell me your opinion! :)

Instruction of how to play Markus:

Login -> Play game -> New game session -> Search other games -> Markus4 -> "Create game session and enter lobby" -> Wait for your name to appear in the "Users online"-list -> Start game. Before your start the game, other people can search for the session in "Join existent session" alternative.

Some technical info:

Game logic, as well as the API, is coded in Lua. There's some info about this in Documentation -> API. I have written no tutorials yet, but I will after alpha2, I think. Not much to write about at the moment. :)

Thank you for your time and have a good one!

Olle

Advertisement

I can't remember what it was called, but once upon a time (like a decade ago) I had a program that was basically a board game runner kind of a thing.  The program itself gave you a variety of different "boards" you could play on (often clearly meant to be imitations of some brand name game without anything identifying and thus creating copyright issues), and it gave you dice, colored pieces, fake money, playing cards, and so on.  There was also a way to customize things (like you could create cards and type in the text to put on them).

I call it a program not a game in and of itself because it did not enforce any rules.  It was more a toolset to allow someone to play games.  Two players would "manually" place their pieces at start, player one would roll the dice, see the result and then manually move his piece as indicated.  I actually thought it was quite a good idea, and I am somewhat sad that I've never seen anything like it since.

So, I tell you this story because I think the best way to take your project would be to try to make it free-form, sort of like the above.  Allow players to play how they wish and resolve the game as they wish.  Don't feel obligated to enforce various rules... but at the same time, you can definitely include various rulesets that players could play under if they wished to.

yes, players will be interested in making their own cards, though have you already checked out the competition ?
www.lackeyccg.com

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Summoner/

(i know wizards has an online game-engine and a card-printer, only i don't think they're connected to each other)

putting rules into a CCG can be quite hard(in magic:the gathering, any card could pretty much "bring" it's own rules into the game) so know what you're starting on.

I have made a game maker like that once. It was a big mistake.

The problem is not with your game maker, it's not with the lack of people who would like to make such games using these tools, the problem is their motivation. To put it simply, making a game (no matter which tool) is hard and 99.9% of people who "want to make a game" are not willing to put sufficient effort. Therefore they only start and then quit very fast. So you have this game maker and hundreds of games started and not one finished and not one decent nor maintained...

Edited by Acharis

@acharis; i think the problem was that there were no standard-games created that people could play(keeps them interested) and tweak(having a less steep learning-curve).

@plethora

intersting perspective. Since I'd like people to "quick match" with each other online, I don't think it's doable in that exact context. What you suggest would be more of a "card/board game simulation" engine. Absolutely worth thinking of, but perhaps too innovative for the common casual-play man/woman.

@powerneg

I saw that lackeyccg! I think the concept need to be adapted to our age, like webbrowser only/no download, or make an app of it. Also, it's important it doesn't look too complicated. Most people will only play, not create games.

I'm not trying to make an collectable cardgame engine. Each game will live in it's own universe. (But I am thinking of adding support for saving data between game sessions. Should not be too hard to do.)

@acharis

I can see that problem. I'll try to make some standard, tutorial-like games. What would be needed later, if there ever will be more members, is community mechanisms, like "like", grading systems, most played this week, etc etc. Starcraft 2 has a very good system for that, IMO.

The hardest technical problem right now is making the Lua state non-hackable. One solution is to charge some euros for membership, and then ban people if they write malware. Otherwise, I'm happily hacking away! Thanks for your opinions!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!