Writer wondering where to start

Started by
2 comments, last by Sky Warden 10 years, 10 months ago

Hi, I've been writing for years, but am now looking to write and develop games. As a beginner I have to ask...

Where do I start?

Currently I am looking to help work on short or simple games for the likes of Android/iOS etc. It doesn't seem like writers are in high demand for video games. Should I be willing to work on writing outside of the actual storyline of the game? for example, writing for the game's website, press releases, instruction manuals, etc. Would that just pigeon hole me into working on things that are not in-game, or would small developers appreciate the diversity of the things I would write?

I also want to know if there are any programs or writing formats I should become more familiar with if I want to write for video games.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Haha. Hi there writer friend! I'm a writer as well, and like you, was interested in joining the game industry as a writer. A little search gave me some useful information to make career as a game writer, and let me tell you some. I was just searching for information, not applying for a position. I'm still young and prefer to work as a programmer.

Write some reputation. Game industry will hardly take you if you don't have any kind of record. There are many indie game projects, and you can start there. If you have some programmer friends who want to make a simple game, offer your service as a writer.

Learn something else. That will increase your value. You may want to learn game design.

Should I be willing to work on writing outside of the actual storyline of the game? for example, writing for the game's website, press releases, instruction manuals, etc.

Yes. Why not?

I also want to know if there are any programs or writing formats I should become more familiar with if I want to write for video games.

I'm not sure about what do you mean by format. Have you ever played traditional RPG? That role play with dice, paper and ink (oh my sweet childhood)? Try to write in the same sheet-like format. As a writer, we're supposed to know every single detail of our characters and we may want to write those details on a piece of paper so we won't forget, even though in fiction writing we don't usually give all of those information to our reader. Here, write everything. Just like while you're role playing. Write every details about characters, objects, magics, monsters, world, places, scenes, or whatever.

Yeah I know that we're not only aiming for RPG, but this format is also needed for any genre. Even FPS games have story lines.

I'm sure that you can handle the story line.

Well I suppose to start things off, does anyone need help with any writing aspects of their games? I'm available to help!

Thanks for the feedback Sky Warden, Like you advise, I'm currently looking to join or contribute to someone's indie game project to build up a portfolio, so seems I am thinking in the right direction.

You understood what I meant by format. I was wondering if I should be familiar with say, script writing, wiki writing, etc. Your tip about writing down everything sounds like a very basic thing I would have never thought of on my own! As you mentioned, I'm a fiction writer and it can feel like I am showing all my cards when I provide so many minute details, but looks like it's something I'll have to adapt to.

Aye. It will be easier if you can make a sheet for everything. Character and location may have different format. Let me help you with the character format:

[the character's image]

Name:

Appearance: [character's appearance description, in text]

Personalities:

Back story:

Additional details: [likes and dislikes, motivation and fear, etc]

Go here and have fun. biggrin.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement