• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Lithic

Is it possible to relief map a fractal surface

This topic is 1856 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm fairly pleased with my terrain LOD and shading now overall, but I think the surface looks kind of flat; all I'm doing now is some simple normal mapping. I've been considering applying the relief mapping algorithm I use elsewhere, but it seems that would require huge numbers of texture fetches.

With the high-detail fractal surface I'm currently using, I'm already doing 33 texture fetches per pixel with the fractal algorithm alone (11 bands with a anti-repetition algorithm that requires 3 lookups per band), and I'm worried that multiplying this by a large number of search iterations (10 or so) for relief mapping it might choke the GPU.

At what point will I be texture-fetch limited? Do I have better options than simple normal mapping with a high-texture-fetch fractal noise-based surface?

Advertisement

Decent GPU has memory bandwidth of 100 GB/s;

bandwidth = 100,000,000,000 bytes

resolution = 1980 x 1080 pixels

fetches_per_pixel = 33 fetches

bytes_per_fetch = 4 bytes

bandwidth / resolution / fetches_per_pixel / bytes_per_fetch = 360 FPS.

Of course cache would improve that, but I'd say you're too close to the limit.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I was able to get some pretty decent surface detail out of the normal mapping by making it stronger, setting a -1 mipmap bias, adding more color variation, which has the nice effect of creating a good surface albedo as well, and otherwise tweaking what I had. Guess I'll just have to make the normal mapping work.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!