Eliminating Facets ?

Started by
6 comments, last by Endemoniada 10 years, 10 months ago

Hi guys,

I want to reduce or eliminate the appearance of facets, especially on pillars (cylinders) and arches. The only way I can think of is to normal map each object, or make the model a super-high poly. Maybe there is a different way ?

I'm using D3D9 and HLSL.

Thanks.

Advertisement
You can add tessellation to your list but im not sure if thats a very great solution because its practically moar polygons, and you likely need normals for that too... (not sure if you do)

o3o

What is a facets? I can't translate that.

Is this on the first image cylinder "facets"?

flat.jpg

and this without?

normal.jpg

If so, why can't you fix normals in modeling editor?

I think that's correct belfegor.

That's right belfegor. What do you mean by "fix normals in modeling editor" ? Do you mean to bake normal maps ?

This is hard for me to explain.

Every vertex (should) have normal, usually in direction where polygon faces (blue lines):

flat.jpg

but in your case you want vertices to have average normal (exclude top part of cylinder):

normal.jpg

normal mapping is a different thing it just adds detail to the poly surface so it doesn't look all flat like.

I am suggesting you to do this in modeling editor since it would be harder to make algorithm to do it programmatically since not all vertices should have average normal so you'd have to isolate those somehow.

The reason why your mesh looks faceted is because each vertex is duplicated and has his own normal. First thing you need to do is remove all duplicate vertices. Then

you need to average the normals of all faces that share the same vertices.

That is it. I was originally computing my own normals in my .obj loader, now I set them in the modeller and load them directly from the .obj.

Thanks a lot.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement