Taking almost ALL the credit?

Started by
11 comments, last by johnmasterlee 10 years, 8 months ago

Long story short,

i work with a small team and i find it odd how i'm doing almost "everything" (i absolutely love working on the project, not complaining) and i personally think im going to look a little silly on the credit screen.

The team's composed of a Concept Artist, a Character Animator, and an Environmental Modeler.

My credit is going to look like this:

Creative Director, Game Designer, Level Designer, Programmer, Marketing, Project Manager, Writer, Web, Composer, Additional Modeling and Character Animation.

We're all doing good progress with the game, i frankly would hate to complete a game and see this wall of arrogance in the credits, should i wipe this all out and just say "Creative Director"?

im not sure what to do and i need help from people who have been in a somewhat simular situation, thanks guys!

sorry for the silly post.

Advertisement

It's not silly - it's a reasonable question that has come up before. You should probably pick the title or category you mostly fill, and just use that. If "creative director" fits, use that, if the team agrees. I'm sure some of your teammates also perform multiple roles. Also, you and the team should discuss and agree on reasonable credits.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

How 'bout: "Fromfame - Creative director (and additional roles)" ?

Hi,

Discuss this with them - simple.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Yes, discussing it with your team is obviously a first step. You are right that a whole litany will look quite ridiculous, but you can always settle on 2-3 titles that most fit and don't overlap too much. For example Creative Director and Game Designer - even though they aren't exactly the same, they overlap here and there. Also, in a small team, "Creative Director" seems a bit like an overkill, but it might be just to my ear. Project manager or Producer however, is a quite different story - it is almost strictly a different role and I think you can include it in credits too.

I wouldn't care that much about the supporting roles, like additional modelling, but if I, as a player, wanted to view the credits and see who did the music - I'd like to know who it was. Even if it was the same person that did 5 other things.

It's all a matter of choosing the right titles and rather being informative than boasting.

Tom Francis did something really smart on Gunpoint by using very broad terms. He did generally the same work as you, and was credited like this:

Design, Code, Words
Tom Francis

That tells you everything about the wealth of work he did, but doesn't feel like it because he used intelligently reductive words.

And like everyone else is saying, run it by your team unless your power relationship means you don't have to. Even then actually, it'll make them feel valued and included

--

Nothing will work. Everything might.

Instead of grouping credits by person, group them by role, and sort the names within each category alphabetically:

Programming
Someone else
You

Art
That other guy
You

...etc...

If you have a small team, you don't need to explicitly spell out all possible roles like marketing or creative director. I would focus on listing core roles, and only include non-core roles like if a person worked *exclusively* in that role. The core roles are Programming, Design, Art, and Audio. Non-core roles are Project Manager, Producer, Marketing, Human Resources, Localization, Testing, etc.

Alternatively, I've recently seen someone's job description simply being "wild card" (for real!).

You can create your own weird job title if you so wish (mastermind...)

That's not mainstream, but really, I don't think anybody would object to a bit of originality in your credits.

Or you could, instead of listing the actual role, just show each of your names in a font size relative to your contribution to the project. For example:

---- Credits ----

Patrick Chasco

Henchman #1

Henchman #2

Seems fair to me.

Or as another alternative - Given that you are a small team rather than list the credits...simply do a bio for each team member i.e. a page for each team member pops up -- provides some colour about the person and basically enables each of the team members to have control over what they want to say about themselves.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement