• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MohammadAhmed

Collision (AI)

This topic is 1942 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello every one :) ,  My model have no Collision avoidance while he is moving toward Player ! so simply he sometimes get stuck in front of some 3D blocks ! ,

I think it must be done using rays , by the way what I am trying to do is shown in the picture below :

NOTE : 3D WORLD NOT 2D ( even both the same ! at almost)

cm2ynk70pxv6d7i6g.jpg

Advertisement

If you don't have any ramps, cliffs, caves etc. it's still a 2D problem. So any pathfinding technique is way to go. If your map is more complex, check out navigation meshes.

Edited by Tasaq

BornToCode and Tasaq Hello :) , No I don't need pathfinding I think  it's complex  to be implemented in my game , I just want the enemy as shown in the picture just avoid the 3d models ( house , cat , dog , rock ............etc no matter ) because some times while he is wandering in 3D , the enemy get stuck !!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Edited by mrmohadnan

Obstacle is obstacle, if you don't want to make 3D dogfight there is no need for 3D path finding. You can 'flaten' your houses, rocks, fences etc. For dynamic objects it's a worse case scenario. Eitherway you are bound to use a* or it's variation somewhere.

Look at the slides from Valve on L4D AI to get some ideas:

http://www.valvesoftware.com/publications/2009/ai_systems_of_l4d_mike_booth.pdf

Note that it's fully 3D game, with tons of zombies.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!