Game Developers' Pathway!

Started by
2 comments, last by Waterlimon 10 years, 10 months ago

Well, my name is Alex and I am a beginner in Java.

I want to create games in Java and would like to know

what things I would have to know like Photoshop, etc.

So please help and tell me what should I know at least and

at most to create a game in Java.

And yes, I did check the forum for this a time or two!

So please give me the learning path to become a Game Developer!

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

If you've read through the forums then you've no doubt found this post and its Java section. Those are worth reading over and will tell you a little bit about your choices for development tools.

As a beginner in Java you first need to learn the language. Learn your basic data types, language structure, objects, and get comfortable working with Java and your IDE. Once you have a good grasp on the language fundamentals you can experiment with game programming. This is where you start to get a lot of choices. You can work with just the standard JDK libraries (not generally recommended) or you can branch out into using something like Slick2D, LibGDX, LWJGL, or jMonkeyEngine. Each of these has its own pros and cons.

If you are doing Java to get into Android, you'll also want to head over to the Android Developer site and get to know Android better.

Some books can also help you. For learning the Java language, Thinking in java is a good choice. For a comprehensive details of the the Java API, look at Core java V1 and Core java V2.

Then after you got the language, try Killer game programming in java or Developing games in java. A good thing about both of these books are that their source code in downloadable and the Killer book is also readable online.

Zetcode is also another basic starter.

Hope this helps.

To follow the path:

look to the master,

follow the master,

walk with the master,

see through the master,

become the master.

http://kazisami.wordpress.com/

And i thought people who capitalize every word produce difficult to read text.

o3o

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement