The movie thread.

Started by
79 comments, last by frob 9 years, 10 months ago

I just saw Man of Steel. It was like watching Jesus, Dragonball Z, and Superman all at once. I don't know whether that was good or bad. I will say that Lois Lane must have superpowers of her own given what she did while she was next to the gravity beam. My only real complaint was that crammed too much story at once and they introduced the romance between Superman and Lois way too soon. Grade: B+.

I need to see:

• Elysium
  • Wolverine
  • Pacific Rim.

There were a couple of others that caught my eye but I forgot the names.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement

I watched pacific rim yesterday(i've never gone to the movies so many times in one year). and damn, i've never been more satisfied with watching giant mechs/monsters fight. the action was quite top-notch, the monsters were increadibly detailed(as well as the robots). the tech was quite plausible(i even liked the fact that the holographic systems had visible projectors, rather than just being made out of thin air). The plot was rather decent enough imo. In the end, i felt like a kid in the theater with a giant grin just watching this thing.

Totally agree. Watched it last week and I loved it.

This review just about sums it up for me

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

I watched pacific rim yesterday(i've never gone to the movies so many times in one year). and damn, i've never been more satisfied with watching giant mechs/monsters fight. the action was quite top-notch, the monsters were increadibly detailed(as well as the robots). the tech was quite plausible(i even liked the fact that the holographic systems had visible projectors, rather than just being made out of thin air). The plot was rather decent enough imo. In the end, i felt like a kid in the theater with a giant grin just watching this thing.

Totally agree. Watched it last week and I loved it.

This review just about sums it up for me

Agree for the most part. I wish they would have showed more of the fighting in the early montage during the, "... and then we started winning..." part at the start.

SPOILER:

Also I wish the chinese/russian robots wouldn't have gotten owned so fast. I wish they would have at least put up a half decent fight and then went down. They could have cut out some of the story bits (especially the kind of forced will they won't they romance bits) and made that fight at least a little bit less of them just getting their faces rocked.

Pacific rim was awesome :3

View my game dev blog here!

I liked it as well. I found the "masters" curious.

[spoiler]

The rift was at the bottom of the ocean. When the robot fell into the rift, if floated, not fell, down. It was still floating down when the nuke went off. This is bolstered by the fact that the main character's escape pod floated up into the wormhole and then through the wormhole.

Where this gets puzzling is that the "masters" (strange name) did not appear to be aquatic, nor did the facility where the monsters were built. It was a strange point in a strange movie.

[/spoiler]

I liked it as well. I found the "masters" curious.

[spoiler]

The rift was at the bottom of the ocean. When the robot fell into the rift, if floated, not fell, down. It was still floating down when the nuke went off. This is bolstered by the fact that the main character's escape pod floated up into the wormhole and then through the wormhole.

Where this gets puzzling is that the "masters" (strange name) did not appear to be aquatic, nor did the facility where the monsters were built. It was a strange point in a strange movie.

[/spoiler]

to your spoiler:

[spoiler]

I'll agree it was a bit weird. although this is an alien world/dimension/(w/e), it might have been some-sort of fluid substance that they were floating through.

[/spoiler]

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

World War Z: Best. Movie. Ever.

I know people who read the book hated it, because the story line was pretty much gone, but as an action movie, it is great.

Personally, I didn't like Iron Man 3, why would they make a Christmas movie and release it in the middle of may?

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

Pacific Rim was sort of disappointing, but worth seeing I think. The characters were just dumb, and not in a funny, entertaining way, but in a flat, unironic kind of way. Same with the plot. It was stuck in the nether between intentionally cheesy and earnestly interesting. Overall, the action overcomes the annoying-ness of everything else (see spoiler), but not by a hugely comfortable margin.

Really, I could have used more variety in the Robot fighting, too, since that was what made the movie.

[spoiler]

Also I wish the chinese/russian robots wouldn't have gotten owned so fast. I wish they would have at least put up a half decent fight and then went down. They could have cut out some of the story bits (especially the kind of forced will they won't they romance bits) and made that fight at least a little bit less of them just getting their faces rocked.

I know, right? Seemed dumb they would introduce some neat gimmicks with the foreign robots only to have them annihilated in like a minute, and then watch the relatively boring hero robot do stuff we've already seen it do (though after that they do the flight thing- but how do you forget you had a SWORD when you've been wrastlin' in every single fight until then? Seems like a giant blade would be handy fighting hand-to-hand?).

Japanese girl speaks English with a Japanese accent despite being raised from a very young age by a globe-trotting British guy.

Hero with fake American accent. Yes, we can notice, especially when it's that bad.

Hero looked identical to Australian son. Maybe the American hero could have been, like, not the whitest person ever? I hated Charlie Hunnam in this movie in general.

"It's analog!" Seriously? Even Gypsy Danger is near future, and look at the cockpit! They should have added some actual analog dials or something that would have made a modicum of sense to the cockpit to justify that stupid plot point.

Monsters could have been slightly more unique, especially since they are always in the dark, especially in the underwater showdown.

Honestly, I'm looking forward to the CinemaSins episode on this movie.

[/spoiler]

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

Watched The Worlds End last week. Interesting movie, and pretty brave. For a comedy, it spends the first half laughing at something, and then it points out just how messed up what we were laughing at is.

That said, it was hilarious. Frost and Pegg nail it and the direction is excellent.

And if you don't believe me, ask Neil Gaiman

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

Watched The Worlds End last week. Interesting movie, and pretty brave. For a comedy, it spends the first half laughing at something, and then it points out just how messed up what we were laughing at is.

That said, it was hilarious. Frost and Pegg nail it and the direction is excellent.

And if you don't believe me, ask Neil Gaiman

damn, lucky! is it released earlier where you live? or you just got into an early screening?

edit: reading his status, looks like you got into an early screening.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement