The movie thread.

Started by
79 comments, last by frob 9 years, 10 months ago

damn, lucky! is it released earlier where you live? or you just got into an early screening?

Nah, just released early in NZ. Every now and then we get an early release, but sometimes we can be pretty far behind. e.g. nearly a month later for Skyfall.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
Advertisement

So I just saw Elysium. I thought it was pretty good (not as good as District 9 though), but the ending was a bit cliched. Anyone else see Elyium?

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

So the Pacific Rim is good?

I thought it sucks that Godzillas have fist-fight (ohmy.pngohmy.pngohmy.png) with robots. Then someone told me that it's explained in the movie why they don't just nuke/laser/rocket the beasts. Like The Asylum studio won the lottery.

Obvilion was okay, Elysium and Gravity is waited in excitement.

Then someone told me that it's explained in the movie why they don't just nuke/laser/rocket the beasts.

I don't remember that. In fact, I remember wondering why they don't just nuke 'em.

Then someone told me that it's explained in the movie why they don't just nuke/laser/rocket the beasts.

I don't remember that. In fact, I remember wondering why they don't just nuke 'em.
Potential spoilers:
[Spoiler]
They said that it took days to actual take them down with conventional weaponry, and those were category 1's. Still the weapons the robots used seemed to be quite effective, not sure why the didn't just put dozens of them across the top of the sea wall they were building. As for nukes, they mentioned trying to nuke the rift, but i don't remember them mentioning trying to nuke the kaija specefically.
[/spoiler]
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

I don't remember it being explained in the movie either, but I guess it's because there's been so many of the damn things if you kept nuking them, you'd actually start getting Godzilla from the native pacific sea life!

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

I don't remember it being explained in the movie either, but I guess it's because there's been so many of the damn things if you kept nuking them, you'd actually start getting Godzilla from the native pacific sea life!

I think the explanation for robots is Kaiju blood being toxic (Kaiju Blue) so you don't really want to spread their guts o'er the land.

Personally, I think a fleet of bombers with these would make more sense, but those fight scenes wouldn't be quite as exciting.Rods from God would be pretty sweet to see, though.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

I need someone to explain the technology of the Elysium space station. For example, in the movie, they have an open atmosphere, so ships can fly right into it. Wouldn't the the vacuum of space would suck it right up? Sure, Earth has an open atmosphere, but, it's held in place by the forces of gravity, gases, and a magnetic field. How would you simulate an open atmosphere on a small scale?

Also, at the end of the movie:
[spoiler]
When the station reboots, everything is shut down. So if the atmosphere was held in place by machines, wouldn't the atmosphere evaporate, killing everyone?
[/spoiler]

I need someone to explain the technology of the Elysium space station. For example, in the movie, they have an open atmosphere, so ships can fly right into it. Wouldn't the the vacuum of space would suck it right up? Sure, Earth has an open atmosphere, but, it's held in place by the forces of gravity, gases, and a magnetic field. How would you simulate an open atmosphere on a small scale?

Also, at the end of the movie:
[spoiler]
When the station reboots, everything is shut down. So if the atmosphere was held in place by machines, wouldn't the atmosphere evaporate, killing everyone?
[/spoiler]

With a thin layer of ionised gas kept in place with a magnetic field, maybe. Same way portals of space stations are done in Star Wars.

I don't know why this haven't been achieved yet is real life, maybe we can't focus magnetic fields that precisely, or without EMI side effects.[media]

http:

[/media]

Power-out issue: maybe permanent magnets or just a safety, totally separate power line for the atmosphere.

I was wondering if the Elysium space station was based off of this:

Open Air Space Habitats
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop_Ring_(habitat)

http://www.iase.cc/openair.htm

High atmospheric walls are built to prevent the atmosphere gases from leaking.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement