The movie thread.

Started by
79 comments, last by frob 9 years, 10 months ago

Another thing from the Elysium movie that bugged me was the shoulder mounted rocket launcher (RPG?) that was able to shoot down a spaceship in lower Earth orbit. That sounds very implausible to me, even in the realm of Sci-Fi.

That was no less implausible than the vtol shuttles that could make orbit and far less implausible than the magic healing beds that could fix everything from cancer to [spoiler]rebuilding a guys face[/spoiler].

That said, suspension of disbelief and so on. If you replaced "space station" with "island" or "walled city", I thought the movie was probably going to be scarily accurate in it's depiction of how the world will look in 150 years

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
Advertisement

On the subject of using an RPG to take out a spacecraft in LEO: remember that while the RPG projectile isn't moving all that quick relative to the launcher, everything in low-Earth orbit is moving at over 7km PER SECOND. If you hit something at a good angle, a marble can do massive amounts of damage.

It just seems practical to at least have some defense system on a space station orbiting Earth. I mean if an RPG style thing could take out a space shuttle, it's not too hard to take out a space station....

I do agree though that I don't think the movie is meant to be taken literally, but it's still fun to look at it that way.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Has anyone seen kick-ass 2?, i was thinking of catching it at some point next week, it looks pretty decent, and i loved the first one. Just wanna hear if the second one is as good.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

Has anyone seen kick-ass 2?, i was thinking of catching it at some point next week, it looks pretty decent, and i loved the first one. Just wanna hear if the second one is as good.

Haven't seen it myself, but apparently if you liked the first one, you'll like this one. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

You can find a 20 second post-credit scene of KickAss 2 on Youtube.
Which may hint at another sequel.

But, if you like surprises, you probably shouldn't watch it.

i have seen the film!(yesterday night)

i'm ganna pre-face this with spoiler tags, as it has a few that i can't really get around with giving my opinion of the film:

[spoiler]

it was pretty decent, although i have a bit mixed-feelings with it. while i liked the concept of superhero's vs supervillians in a more real world setting....i had a few quips, a couple of the major plot points(mostly mindy's) was dragged out waayy too long imo. I also thought it went over the top in being perverted, and it could have been toned back a bit without losing the overall impact. at other times, it seemed like the movie was going one direction(such as training dave), and then does an 180 on itself. their was also a bit left up in the air(such as chris's mob family telling him to stay low, then he goes and murders a ton of cops), maybe that'll be touched in the third film, but idk.

since we are in spoiler territory, i'll say this. near the end, i thought that perhaps both of them would die, considering that both have lost their entire family's, it seemed like it would be such a great ending for the type of film this was, questioning how/if superheros/villians could work in the real world, but in the end, everyone dies, good or bad, it would have been a pretty powerful way to end the film imo.

[/spoiler]

overall, i'd give it a 7/10, it was enjoyable, a decent sequel, but i think it had a great opportunity to be more.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

Obilvion - Good Sci Fi. Tom Cruise did a pretty good job in his role. It starts off a bit slow but the pace picks up and it's a steady sweet ride.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

i have seen the film!(yesterday night)

i'm ganna pre-face this with spoiler tags, as it has a few that i can't really get around with giving my opinion of the film:

[spoiler]

it was pretty decent, although i have a bit mixed-feelings with it. while i liked the concept of superhero's vs supervillians in a more real world setting....i had a few quips, a couple of the major plot points(mostly mindy's) was dragged out waayy too long imo. I also thought it went over the top in being perverted, and it could have been toned back a bit without losing the overall impact. at other times, it seemed like the movie was going one direction(such as training dave), and then does an 180 on itself. their was also a bit left up in the air(such as chris's mob family telling him to stay low, then he goes and murders a ton of cops), maybe that'll be touched in the third film, but idk.

since we are in spoiler territory, i'll say this. near the end, i thought that perhaps both of them would die, considering that both have lost their entire family's, it seemed like it would be such a great ending for the type of film this was, questioning how/if superheros/villians could work in the real world, but in the end, everyone dies, good or bad, it would have been a pretty powerful way to end the film imo.

[/spoiler]

overall, i'd give it a 7/10, it was enjoyable, a decent sequel, but i think it had a great opportunity to be more.

Your review is pretty funny when you say its over the top perverted. You would not like the comic at all. Also they could hardly do that ending as it would kill the sequel which I assume theyll still push even if Minday wasnt arrested.

Anyway The Way Way Back is the best film of the year so far. So funny, such good acting, writing and just so good. Everyone should see it.

Obilvion - Good Sci Fi. Tom Cruise did a pretty good job in his role. It starts off a bit slow but the pace picks up and it's a steady sweet ride.

Oblivion takes ideas from Moon, but other than that it's pretty good....

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement