Feedback on retro video game music

Started by
5 comments, last by Puhn 10 years, 10 months ago

Hello Everyone!

I've made some music inspired by classic video games and would love to get some feedback on my music. smile.png

There are already a few tracks on my youtube channel but I will upload a few more anytime soon.

">

Hope you enjoy my work.

Advertisement

Not bad at all. It's a bit predictable but I do like the arrangements. I think a change in the chord progression change after the initial part where the drums come in could do wonders to make it more interesting. Very nice homage to SNES RPG type stuff though!

I would change the rhythm in the 3rd bar of the main motif. More notes, some syncopation, something to make it less repetitive sounding. I like how the arrangement builds. Also you should experiment with harmonising melodies in 3rds or 6ths to add variety to the arrangement as the piece goes on.

Hi! This here is good stuff in the "Old School" segment. Brings back memories, especially to Megaman for some reason.

Rune Hansen

Developer

10ahead Games

www.10aheadgames.com

Thank you guys for your comments! This helps a lot.

So I will work on my harmonies and watch out for repetition. I am happy to hear that the overall SNES RPG sound is there. smile.png

Hi! This here is good stuff in the "Old School" segment. Brings back memories, especially to Megaman for some reason.

Funny I have never spend much attention to the Megaman soundtrack but I will take a look as soon as possible. laugh.png

Besides I have made a Soundcloud account for those who prefere this plattform over youtube.

https://soundcloud.com/musicentertainmentsystem

To me, Megaman II's sound track is definitive of what the NES could do. It's also got its own character as far as construction of songs,scales and melodies. Dress it up in any kind of instrument/remix and it still sounds like megaman 2.

Funny I have never spend much attention to the Megaman soundtrack but I will take a look as soon as possible. laugh.png

I'm not sure what the original music was, I'd be concerned about accidental music plagarism. I know a Youtube license is pretty loose. Be sure to reference the original music or someone may think you haven't properly accredited the original authors.

What do you mean exactly? While these are my own original compositions and I didn't really try to imitate anybody, I know that they may sound similar to some of the older video game soundtracks. But that's because they are influenced by music I remember from my childhood. smile.png
Anyways - thanks for your feedback! I'll make sure that my compositions aren't just copies of already existing ones.

To me, Megaman II's sound track is definitive of what the NES could do. It's also got its own character as far as construction of songs,scales and melodies. Dress it up in any kind of instrument/remix and it still sounds like megaman 2.

I had to play the game after your post. The soundtrack is great. Especially for the NES!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement