open GL or DX???

Started by
8 comments, last by Squirrel 22 years, 5 months ago
Which one is better? I hope the answer is Open GL because that stuff actually compiles with my cheap compiler (Borland c++). This compiler of mine does not even try to compile directX code. It will trow 26 errors right off the bat. No question asked. Is there something like directdraw for openGL? I want to be able to used 2d graphics for now. I find that for the games I want to start making, 2d will be better. Thanks! Ryan
Ryan
Advertisement
Neither is better. It''s all about personal preference really.

I prefer OpenGL. I spent four months working with DirectX and still can''t make it do what I want reliably. I''ve been working with OpenGL for a couple weeks and am really starting to understand the basics.

If you want to do 2d, then you can use OpenGL''s orthographic projection. Check out nehe.gamedev.net for info on that.

If you need more, search the forums.

I wanna'' ride on the pope mobile.
Why not use both? My engine uses OpenGL for graphics and DirectInput for, you guessed it, input!
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
Hey, My angine useses id going to use Direct3D, DirectDraw,DIB,Ogl... the works. I will use this method by uatalizing dll interfaces.

AfTeRmAtH
Rate me up.
I like stories.

The fanatic is incorruptible: if he kills for an idea, he can just as well get himself killed for one; in either case, tyrant or martyr, he is a monster.
--EM Cioran

Opere Citato
"... we should have such an empire for liberty as she has never surveyed since the creation ..."Thomas Jefferson
You should not have any problems with Borland and DirectX. Here is the libraries for DX8:
http://www.geocities.com/foetsch/cbuilder.htm
If you still get errors so post them in the DirectX forum so other Borland users may help you.

I would avoid DirectDraw anyway. It is not very easy and not very fast. In the case you want to create 2D games and do not need high resolution is it perhaps better to use a wrapper like SDL or similar. Makes things easier.
I''ll stick with OpenGL then, I used it a bit and it''s not that complicated. The only thing I find is that it can be long when involving creating allot of things though but I''ll get used to it.
Ryan
aftermath, how do you use OGL and D3D together? Isn''t that what you said?
2D sprites. hmm, let me see. a quad (primitive) with a texture (sprite). pretty simple. just use the glOrtho function for the projection matrix and leave the modelview matrix as the identity.

this question is getting kinda old. seriously, part of programming is determining a solution through trial and error. nothing wrong with asking questions, but this is ridiculous.

peace.
To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
quote:Original post by masonium
aftermath, how do you use OGL and D3D together? Isn''t that what you said?

Id say he means having his renderer functions in a DLL, which is dynamically loaded. This way he can code a version in D3D, and one in OGL, etc, and just load whichever the user wants to use.
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement