Mod or New Game?

Started by
4 comments, last by Krohm 10 years, 10 months ago

I am interested in creating a FPS with a time travel mechanic that would allow players to "travel back in time" over an established period of time (15/30/60 seconds), essentially regaining control over their character in the position they were in at that given time and be able to re-interact with the environment, including killing other players. To do this the game would have to track and repeat player movements after they have already occurred, while also committing states that fall beyond the time buffer (15/30/60 seconds) to the "permanent past".

Hopefully I have explained the general concept well enough. My vision is to implement this game mechanic to change gameplay and strategy within the existing FPS model, not to redefine FPS's. As such my question is whether or not you think something like this could be accomplished through a mod (of say CS:GO, for example), or if this new mechanic fundamentally changes the game so much that creating a new game would be required.

Thanks a lot for you input in advance!

Advertisement

I would like to check what exactly you are looking for a little bit better. If they go back in time, does it mean only the player in that position and all changes that happened since are still the same (aka, I killed someone, but am getting shot at and wish to move backwards, but the kill will still be there).

If that is the case, I would think that it would be simpler to do a mod, as it isn't a huge amount of data to keep track of, beyond player states.

Otherwise, in my opinion, that seems like something that would be more fun to build from the ground up.

I think you may encounter some emergent game-breaking logic problems here.

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
I am imagioning a less flexible sands of time style thing and while that's chill for single player games if its multiplayer there are a lot of things to work around, it almost sounds like a "respawn without dieing" feature which would make it... annoying - I could see in teams though like to kill someone you must first find them, then have a ally force them to use their time jumpop but BAM your waiting there ready to mow em down again.

You just need a cyclic buffer of undo history for each step in the physics just like when editing a text document but with a physical world. Leaving enemies as dead bodies instead of destroying their object would make it a lot easier to implement with a fixed slot for each item in the level.

I'd try modding first. This is a fundamentally difficult problem, especially if split-second accuracy is required.

Chronotron is a flash-based platform game. I was so fascinated by the emergent mechanics I read author's blog. He points out a few issues he had. Some where specific to ActionScript but some are inherent. You might find it useful.

Previously "Krohm"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement