Starting C#

Started by
8 comments, last by Assassinbeast 10 years, 10 months ago

I just finally finished school for good today...smile.png

Next year i am going to computer science University.

Till now I was too busy studing for exams in order to pass to the university ect. so I didint had too much free time.

My current state right now on programming is that I know everything about Pascal and have created many programs.

So i am not a complete beginner.

I know how to use arrays ( only 1d and 2d): sorting arrays , array fusion, finding the max value, ect.

? am used to using loops and functions.

I think I have catched the concept of programming and how computer work.

So now that I have the free time I am willing to start learning C#. I know nothing about object oriented programming.

Is this book ok starting with? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ARN9MG8/ref=s9_cskin_gw_p351_d13_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0B1R6B9F5SKPF8XZCJAC&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

If you have any other book to recommend me just tell me biggrin.png

Thanks!

Failure is not an option...

Advertisement

I would suggest starting with something more OOP (object oriented programming) related, like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-3-0-Introduction-Oriented-Programming/dp/0470261293 OR

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-C-Object-Oriented-Programming-ebook/dp/B00ACC6BN6/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1369931324&sr=1-2&keywords=beginning+c%23

You could probably just google some OOP lessons, and once you grasp the concept of OOP, than start focusing on the C# language. C# might be more of a challenge when you know nothing about OOP.

jmillerdev.com

Follow me @jmillerdev

I find that all books on C# say about the same thing, as the language is well defined. The "information" is the same regardless of which book you read, it's just a matter of how the individual book presents it. With that in mind, it's often best to go straight to the source. Here are some informational links and online course which should hold the answers to all your questions. The first is the course, the second link is the homepage to the MVA course, and then the links get more and more technical from there, ending with the C# specification. It's the most terse to read, but there's no better authority than the language spec itself. And of course, as you learn more about C#, feel free to post your questions here and the community will be happy to answer your questions.

Programming in C# JumpStart (a MVA course)

C# Virtual Academy

C# Programming Guide

C# Developer Center

C# Reference

C# Specificiation

Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints

I would stay away from any book that present any paradigm as a "silver bullet" since all programming paradigms have their advantages and pitfalls in different situations.

Functional programming is good for testability and GPU acceleration.

Data driven programming is good when the major bottle neck is loading lots of memory.

Object orientated programming is good when there is a clear one to one mapping between data and methods or you want safe polymorphism.

Relational programming is good when many objects share the same methods or you want persistence with a database.

While maybe a little bit outdated (can't really argue with free though), it should give you a pretty decent grounding in C# enough to get you started while being capable of investigating newer features of the .NET framework as required. http://www.charlespetzold.com/dotnet/

Hi,

In my opinion, an experienced programmer such as you should not detour but focus on target of making simple games soon! Visual Studio Express is the way to go for your first few games. Start with DirectX API in the .NET Framework and make your first "Hello World" using C# with this to get familiar with it. There are plenty of tutorials on how to do this. Next find tuturials on making simple games with the DirectX API and scripting in C#. Example are crossword puzzle, tic-tac-toe, and quiz question games. After 3 to 5 of these then you will be ready for a game development framework...

Next look at SharpDX, MonoGame, Mono/MonoDevelop, and XNA.

Keep working at it and have fun!

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Thank you guys for your suggestions!!!

Failure is not an option...

Personally, I find that simply learning out of books doesn't cut it for me. Everything is well documented

of course, but it doesn't really teach your mind much about application and real-time programming.

Considering the other posts, I'm guessing you have a bit of programming knowledge, so try this:

Plan out decidedly small projects. Start off with a little program that lets you store and retrieve data

from databases. finish it.

For your next project, do something bigger that requires different functionality.

Every time you go bigger, you'll run into something that you hadn't seen before. Go do MSDN

for help, or find source code on the net. Don't just paste, make sure you *understand it*.

As long as you don't swamp yourself in new stuff and learn by curve, you'll be an adept in no

time.

I don't mind your disagreeing. I mind your refusing to *listen*.

The c# yellow book by rob miles is a good one and is free from the author's website.

i highly recommend the book Illustrated C# 2012 by Daniel Solis.

That book is straight to the point on every topic if you want to learn C# fast.

Hes very good to explain the concepts with illustration and images.

Its also a very good reference book and very unique because there are useless text in it, but just straight text of what you need to know.

I think the book is perfect for you since you have experience in programming and know what it is about.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement