• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Aleuhn

Where do I go from here?

This topic is 2029 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys Aleuhn here, I know the basics of c++, ive been reading sams teach your self c++, (Not that it matters). Anyways where should i go from here, what steps do i need to take to go deeper into game programming, what else do i need to learn libraries etc, im clueless, I'm on a Mac to if that matters :P

Advertisement

Can you make a text-based tic-tac-toe?  That is often a useful game for learning and can be done without graphics.

Another excellent text-based game is connect four.

Once you've got those figured out, decide if you want to learn a graphics api.

If you don't want to get into graphics programming you can build games like minesweeer and solitare using your favorite windowing system.

Or if you do want to learn graphics write your own clones of pong, breakout, and tetris, in that order.

Once you've got those figured out, it is best to move on to a game engine to handle the heavy lifting.  Most people would rather write games rather than spending the months hooking up audio buffers and parsing model files and decoding images.  That's what engines are for.

I'd suggest you start solving problems at projecteuler.net . Once you've solved a hand full of problems and feel more comfortable with pointers and references and such, I'd suggest working on understanding classes and algorithms in a deeper way. This requires two things, ONE : Learn about design patterns, how they work and what they are as soon as possible. Design patterns are the difference between making small functions and creating larger software. TWO: Learn Data Structures. Data structures are all about improving speed and decomposing problems into smaller ones. 

From there you'll want to test out writing a small game using SDL or SFML. Either of these libraries do A TON of the work for you. These will provide system time, ability to draw to the screen and other capabilities. Once you've completed or done a little something there you'll have probably learned enough to know where to go from there.

GOOD LUCK!

- Also... go learn rigorous mathematics (proofs) it'll make other types of math seem easier.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!