OMS CS degree - viable option?

Started by
12 comments, last by Ravyne 10 years, 10 months ago

Unfortunately I keep getting mixed answers to this question of getting a Master's degree (or even a Bachelor's in CS) first, which becomes frustrating and a bit of a distractio

What that should tell you is "stop asking people's opinions, and make your own decision." Make a decision grid. http://sloperama.com/advice/m70.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Advertisement

I don't think on-campus is any better tbqh. Who the heck wants to go through traffic jams, look hours for parking, be waitlisted ALL THE TIME for classes, getting bad proffs? Its very annoying, and made me not want to major in CS in the first place. For CS I don't need distractions like those, they just get in the way of actual learning. That's why im just a hobbyist game programmer now.

Pretty terrible advice. You are suggesting not to go to school because of inconveniences that aren't even that bad?

Software Engineer | Credited Titles: League of Legends, Hearthstone

I don't think on-campus is any better tbqh. Who the heck wants to go through traffic jams, look hours for parking, be waitlisted ALL THE TIME for classes, getting bad proffs? Its very annoying, and made me not want to major in CS in the first place. For CS I don't need distractions like those, they just get in the way of actual learning. That's why im just a hobbyist game programmer now.

Pretty terrible advice. You are suggesting not to go to school because of inconveniences that aren't even that bad?

When did I ever say not to go to school? He asked if online was worse than on-campus and I gave him my opinion. I go to school too ya know?

More to the point, I was looking at the same course the other day and it doesn't appear to be open yet for general enrollment -- when it begins its first year in the fall, enrolment will only be an option for certain corporate partners of Georgia Tech, and their sponsor in this endeavor, AT&T. In other words, either you or possibly your parents probably have to be employed by AT&T or one of those corporate partners. Enrollment is also limited this first year, so even though its an online class (MOOC), its not like just anybody with seven grand is guaranteed a seat. They intend to widen registration over the next 3 years.

I could have interpreted wrong, but that's my understanding of the situation. It's still very interesting, and a good deal if you want a diploma to go along with your learning. I'm planning to keep an eye on it myself. But if you just want to learn, which is nearly every bit as good, I believe Stanford and/or MIT make all their coursework and lectures freely available to learn from.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement