• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
codingJoe

Mutex creation in multithreaded library

This topic is 2025 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello,

I think I have a kind of chicken-egg problem:

I have a library (dll) that is pure C and that is supposed to be thread-safe.

How do I initialize it? I mean, at some point I need to call

globalMutex=CreateMutex(0,FALSE,0);
do some other initializations here

The above section of code should be run only the very first time someone calls a function in the library. But what if several threads call the library at the same time? Best would be to have a mutex to make sure the initialization happens only once, but mutexes need to be initialized...

Any idea?

Advertisement

Doesn't it get called only once, when you load library? So just load it before creating any threads.

Edited by Zaoshi Kaba

Most libraries solve this by requiring you to explicitly call some kind of init() function.

Thanks for all the replies.

The library can actually be compiled for many different platforms (also microcontrollers), and is allready in use. For that reason I cannot use an additional function that initializes everything.

I was just wondering if there is an extremely lightweight lock one can build, that is not OS dependent?

Or at least a random/timed mechanism that will reduce the chance for 2 threads entering the initialization section?

I was just wondering if there is an extremely lightweight lock one can build, that is not OS dependent?

Boost has a pretty good collection of synchronization tools, although it may not be supported on your microcontrollers.

You can build an atomic one-time lock on any CPU that supports atomic compare and swap:

// Some global
int counter = 0;

if (CompareAndSwap(counter, 1) == 0) {
   // Do initialization
}

// Carry on
[edit] For completeness: you also need a spinlock that waits until initialization is completed:
// Another global
int initdone = 0;

if (CompareAndSwap(counter, 1)) {
// init
// atomic set initdone to 1
}

while (AtomicCompare(initdone, 0)) {
// No-op
}

// Carry on
Edited by ApochPiQ

I also found a platform-independent way of doing it: the Peterson's algorithm

Don't try and implement that unless you're aware of the memory/cache/atomicity/reordering behaviours of your target CPU and compiler.

If you implement that code as-is on any modern CPU, it simply will not work correctly as a critical section... You'd have to insert memory fences, etc, in order to make it function correctly.

e.g. your compiler or CPU might change the order in which the writes to flag[n] and turn actually occur, or the setting of flag[n] to false at the end might actually be committed to RAM before the changes performed inside the critical section are committed!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!