• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
RikTelner

Starting 2D multiplayer game designing

This topic is 2021 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I would like to create 2D mutliplayer game. Which engine could I use?

I prefer MySQL, and program language editable with Notepad++.

Edited by RikTelner

Advertisement

"2D multiplayer game" could be many different things, for which different tools would be appropriate. What kind of game are you trying to make?

well MySQL is a database ... you probally dont need one of those.

Most languages are just text in a code file of sorts, which can all be edited in Notepad++. But all languages need a compiler (or interpreter) to acctually run. So your better off with a IDE such as Visual studio(C++, c#) or Netbean (Java).

By the sound of the post, you have never coded before? so multiplayer ... start smaller smile.png

You could try Python with pygame. there are lots fo tutorials on the web.

Edited by Andy474

First get the grasp of what it means to make a 2D game, then start thinking about multiplayer, because sometimes 2D can be so complex that adding the word multiplayer seems like a burden unsure.png  

Thanks a lot for your answers. You really seem to read my mind, I NEVER EVER touched these languages. I used the above link, thanks.

Edited by RikTelner

So I just read this one. But, it's only advice about which games should be made. Well, one question has been answered. None languages of all is better than the other. But still I need to know, which engine should I choose, and are there any tutorials for it?

Python + PyGame and C# + XNA are a couple of common suggestions for getting started. In either case, you'll want to spend some time learning the language (Python or C# in this recommendation) itself before diving into the accompanying game framework/engine (Pygame or XNA in this recommendation).

http://www.diveintopython.net/ is a freely available ebook that can get you started in Python.

http://channel9.msdn.com/Series/C-Sharp-Fundamentals-Development-for-Absolute-Beginners is a video series that can get you started with C#.

HERE is a free Ebook written for beginner programmers, that teaches game programming.

HERE is another Ebook.

You may also want to install THIS free IDE to make your life easier.

Edited by Shippou

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!