PS2 Linux

Started by
5 comments, last by KwamiMatrix 22 years, 5 months ago
It is official. Sony will release GNU/Linux for the Emotion Engine Architechture( R5900 Architechture ) for PS2. No dates are official, and either are the entire contents of the kit yet. Stay tuned for additional details. Edem Attiogbe
Edem Attiogbe
Advertisement
Are you talking about a US release? Cos if it''s the Japanese release of 3-5 months ago...
yep. the US release. I heard about it at slashdot.com

Edem Attiogbe
Edem Attiogbe
http://www.linuxworld.com/ic_717468_6995_1-3133.html

This is going to rule...

"If consquences dictate our course of action, it doesn''t matter what''s right, it''s only wrong if you get caught."
- Tool

"There is no reason good should not triumph at least as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they're organized along the lines of the mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut
Does this mean that it will be easier to develop games on the PS2? The developement kit costs around 8-9k.
People are not inherently evil, but all of them are guillty of something...
yep. I believe that the basic kit will include PS2 Linux, Gcc for the Emotion Engine archtechture, basic PS2 libraries, processor architechture libraries, system architechture libraries, and the PS2 Run Time envirinment. The RunTime is needed because software for PS2 compiled under Linux running on a PS2 will not run under the regular PS2 operating system due to not having official PS2 encryption and identification code.

Edem Attiogbe
Edem Attiogbe
who needs PS2 linux. j/k, even though you don''t. the architecture is pretty fun to program for. there are a lot more optimization possibilities available than Intel x86 processors. i already do PS2 dev''ing, but none the less i will be buying the PS2 HDD and linux.

RISC is good.
To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement