• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
noatom

Website to check music?

This topic is 1843 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering: is there a website to check if a certain song is available for use in a game?

Advertisement

You accidentally (?) posted this in "Game Programming" instead of "Business and Law" or "Music and Sound". smile.png

If you are talking about a song from a commercial band, you need to contact either the band itself (which might be willing to give you a reasonable price, because it helps promote them), or else one of the big three extortionist organizations, like BMI, ASCAP, or SESAC, who'll probably charge you ridiculous fees.

If you are talking about a song some composer online made, contact that composer - you have a very good chance of getting permission to use that song.

If you are talking about a song that has fallen into public domain, note that the lyrics, composition, and any specific recording of it are all copyrighted separately, and just because one fell out of copyright doesn't make them all out of copyright (and copyright lengths vary from country to country), so contact a lawyer, or else contact the aforementioned extortionist organizations who will probably threaten to sue you even if it has fallen out of copyright unless you pay their fees - so you'll need to contact a lawyer anyway.

There is no national registry of copyright in the United States, unfortunately, and the copyright system in the United States (and some other nations) is horribly in favor of giant corporations.

Edited by Servant of the Lord

Well,the songs I want to use are quite recents (not older than 100 years). And I'm gonna make an indie game,not the next assassin's creed,so it's not gonna be a big publicity for the copyright holder.

It seems I have no chances.

You might want to go ahead and ask anyway. You definitely have no chance if you don't give the copyright owner an opportunity to consider it.

Worst case scenario, they say "no". But then you have an actual answer.

I would guess that the smaller the musician, the more likely they would be willing to work with indies.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!