• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
wiegje85

OpenMDL 0.97 beta

This topic is 1934 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello!

After quite a while I have finally released the public beta of my very own game-oriented model format and its accompanying tools (Maya Exporter and the model loader to be used in your application).

What is OpenMDL?

OpenMDL is a fast and compact game-oriented model format. It is designed specifically for use in games. As a result, all of the features that are not required in games have been stripped. OpenMDL supports: Geometry, Textures (multi-layered), Materials, Shaders, Joints, Metadata and various forms of Animation (Bone Animation and Morph Targets).

OpenMDL is still far from perfect, and that’s one of the reasons I am releasing it as a public beta, to get some feedback and to show the world what it has become in the meantime. As of yet, when it comes to animation, only bone animation is supported. Morph targets will come soon. As well as the 3ds Max plug-in and Linux/MacOS support. However, if you think this project has some potential and you’d like to see these features sooner rather than later, you’re more than welcome to help. The project is released under the CC Attribution 3.0 Unported license.

For more information on the features and capabilities and why you should use this instead of the other bulky model formats, check out our website: http://www.openmdl.org or download the Binaries or Source directly at: http://www.openmdl.org/download/

I'd love to hear suggestions, questions, criticism, comments, death treats and love letters.

Edited by wiegje85

Advertisement

What language?

EDIT:

Why did you use STL?

Because I could. Be happy I did not go for boost icon_smile.gif It also provides easy debugging and the containers that were used aren’t really that bad at all.

Then C++ I guess. Edited by TheChubu

Yes, everything was written in C++, apart from the options dialog box which unfortunately was written in MEL.

I am interested to see where this gets. I will wait until it has importer/exporter for 3ds max, since I don't have Maya.

You say it only supports baked animation, does that mean that it doesn't support stuff like physics animation like ragdoll physics?

Is there some sort of built-in animation blending algorithm or this is left for the programmer that uses the library?

Are there any obstacles that could prevent someone from using the library with deferred rendering?

You didn't provide any kind of demo that would present true capabilities of the OpenMDL. It would be good to provide small demo(s) that can load model(s) with multiple material/textures (possibly some transparent/alpha textures too) and display it with ogl3+ and/or dx11 context.

I am interested to see where this gets. I will wait until it has importer/exporter for 3ds max, since I don't have Maya.

You say it only supports baked animation, does that mean that it doesn't support stuff like physics animation like ragdoll physics?

Is there some sort of built-in animation blending algorithm or this is left for the programmer that uses the library?

Are there any obstacles that could prevent someone from using the library with deferred rendering?

You didn't provide any kind of demo that would present true capabilities of the OpenMDL. It would be good to provide small demo(s) that can load model(s) with multiple material/textures (possibly some transparent/alpha textures too) and display it with ogl3+ and/or dx11 context.

Hi,

I decided that having things like animation blending was part of the game engine's functionality. This is simply a way of storing data relevant to the model itself. This has absolutely no effect on how the graphics engine renders the geometry. Deferred rendering should not be an issue.

I did think of creating a simple model viewer application. However, the method of rendering is not relevant to this library's purpose, which is to store 3D model data in such a way that it is easy and quick to load and does not take up insane amounts of storage. But I suppose it cannot hurt to create a model viewer some day.

I suppose the quickest way to see how quick and easy it is to use OpenMDL for your application is to actually implement it into your existing game/application. If you look at the Documentation, you'll see that it requires a little over 20 lines of code.

Edited by wiegje85

I'm not entirely sure if this post is allowed here, so be free to moderate it.

After realizing I made a whoopsie I have released a new version: 0.97.1 beta. It includes three bug fixes that could possibly ruin someone's day if they were to use multiple materials per mesh.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!