• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
cebugdev

attaching a 3D object to skineed mesh

This topic is 1939 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi all,

I have loaded a skinned mesh with all the bones info and it displays properly along with its animation.

my question is, supposed I want to attach something like 3D hat to it or a 3D shirt (or an armor), how can I do it?

Do the 3D objects need to be model with a bones too, and the bone names should match to that of the character? like if the character raised its hand then the 3D object attached to the character should be deformed too right?

our application is like a virtual dresser whre user can choose from variety of 3D objects (shirts, pants, shoes, hats, etc) that can be attached to their character, and im looking for some info on how to do this with perfect deformation.

can you guys enlighten me on how to do this?

thanks.

Edited by cebugdev

Advertisement

You usually add extra bones to the model which serve as attach points, you can name them or number them to identify them. Then you align the position/orientation of the attach point bone of the attachment mesh with the attach point on the attached mesh.

Usually you don't skin the attachments but I suppose you could if you needed to. Stuff that does need to be skinned is typically done with swapping parts of a skinned mesh for another mesh (e.g. swap your body mesh part with a mesh for wearing rigid armour would have different skinning parameters).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!