I need help with ideas for this game please

Started by
7 comments, last by Gene Kzr 10 years, 10 months ago

Hello. I am considering making a game based on the anime(Japanese animation) Hunter X Hunter. I will make it in this program called Dream Maker that is on byond.com and publish it. The problem is that I don't have many ideas for it. I want this game to be fun and engaging. The characters in the show HXH using this energy called Nen. Nen is an energy and an aura and you can do many things with it. Depending on the usage you can increase it, decrease it or both depending on what body part. In a fight when they hit the increase the energy in their fist by decrease the energy elsewhere yet when they are about to get hit the increase the energy of their defenses and decrease the energy of their offenses. They can also see auras and hide their energy from others. They all also have special abilities. If you want to learn more about this read this here: http://hunterxhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Nen . I want this game to include fighting and using special abilities. I don't want this to be just a fighting game where there are no power levels. Each person can improve their fighting powers by training in the game. I don't want this to be a turn based game either or an active turn based game where you must quickly choose your input. I don't want this to be a text-based game. I want there to be dodging, blocking and countering. I want it to be like you must fight and you must be clever and you must quickly react and change your style from offense to defense and/or defend when you are attacked. I want the fights to feel like the show. I want the game's winner be based on the winner's skill at the game, how wisely the winner used their special abilities, their power level(energy potency), how well the winner reacted to attack and defend and a bit of luck. Any ideas would be helpful thanks.

Advertisement

Perhaps it is best to extrapolate from games you have already played. As for the energy "Nen" perhaps make a GUI of a meter of it? Then depending on battle, the bar can go up and down for its usage. As for dodging and countering, perhaps add a dodge button plain and simple. or instead of it being dodge, it can be a roll button, but you can have a separate dodge animation if locked onto an enemy. Is this an online game by the way?

It's important to note how you want to develop the 'class' system which is the aura type players have. Do you want to let them have a choice at the start, whether they want to be a transmuter, enhancer, etc, or simply randomizing the player's class?

I think that there can be a body diagram(Like a minimap) somewhere in the screen so the player can view the percentage of Nen in whichever part of the body. Thus, you click the part of the body you want to transfer from, select the amount of Nen you want to transfer from a meter and click the place where you want to transfer the Nen too. This makes the application of Ryu easier, allowing you to stimulate the increase in fist power to attack your enemy.

For progression, I think that their skill level can increase as they defeat more monsters which are about their skill level using methods which relates to the specialty of their skill. For example, Transmuter which specialize in changing their aura into actual things like how Killua creates electricity to defeat his opponent.

Oh, you are familiar with this show?

It's important to note how you want to develop the 'class' system which is the aura type players have. Do you want to let them have a choice at the start, whether they want to be a transmuter, enhancer, etc, or simply randomizing the player's class?

I think that there can be a body diagram(Like a minimap) somewhere in the screen so the player can view the percentage of Nen in whichever part of the body. Thus, you click the part of the body you want to transfer from, select the amount of Nen you want to transfer from a meter and click the place where you want to transfer the Nen too. This makes the application of Ryu easier, allowing you to stimulate the increase in fist power to attack your enemy.

For progression, I think that their skill level can increase as they defeat more monsters which are about their skill level using methods which relates to the specialty of their skill. For example, Transmuter which specialize in changing their aura into actual things like how Killua creates electricity to defeat his opponent.

Oh, you are familiar with this show?

Yup, I watched the Hunter X Hunter 2011 version :)

Oh,Hunter X Hunter is a very popular anime,if you can make it in good quality,I think there must be lots of players who are fans of this anime.And your idea sounds feasible.

You can make some stuffs out firstly,such as concepts,models,ect.

http://www.game-silkroad.com
info_game@silkroadcg.com

• Idea 1. A stroke-style combat game. In traditional fighting games you press buttons in fast combinations in order to kick, punch and do specials. I would make a fighting game based on a touch interface or for mouse where you give the fighters orders by stroking around with your finger or mouse. Examples: drawing a looping circular shape is defence or shields. A lot of quick strokes "forward" would result in some form if attack. Drawing zig-zack patterns would create something else. I think such a magic game would be pretty cool. I don't have a smartphone so I don't know if it exists yet.
  • Idea 2. If it really is so that you can create anything with this nan, then a game-board would be cool, worms-style. You can walk your guy around - either in turns or as a traditional platformer, where you create defensive/offensive things. If turned based then a worms clone would be nice. If real-time then a Liero type of game could be fun and action dense.
  • Idea 3. A Heroes of Might and Magic type of gameboard could also work, where you can create stuff in some kind of environment.

If you want to make collecting this Nen energy, moving it around your fighter's body, and spending it on various special moves a central and detailed part of the game, I'm afraid you'll need a turn-based GUI to do it, as there are more moves than in a typical fighting game: too many to map them directly to buttons.

Instead, a turn-based fight could present a list of discrete moves, like "high unbalancing punch" or "charge left fist by discharging both legs" (possibly with complex rules about which moves are available in different states, as part of a hit combo, etc.) and execute the selected ones (possibly with complex mechanisms of initiative, action durations, prepared defenses and reactions, etc.).

Character classes etc. can easily affect move choice (e.g. learning special attacks or allowing usuall forbidden move sequences) and quality (e.g. faster Nen charging or higher speed)

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Thank you everyone for your replies. I think I just got something!! I will make it based on Ryu(it is real time Nen energy adjustments). I don't know if I will have blocking but basically I want you to create various settings on your keyboard macros. Numbers 1-9 and 0 will have all your special abilities. I trust you won't need more than that. The letters will have various attacks and defenses. I don't know if I will have blocking. Let's say for example you want to do Ko. That is punch 100% Nen powered the rest 0%, all Zetsu. Your arms then will have 100% Nen and the rest of your body 0%. If you managed to hurt your opponent they will be unable to fight back for 1/2-1 second. Depending on your move you may not hurt them, hurt them but they can fight back, hurt them a lot where they are stunned or send them back. Different colored texts will pop up showing what you did. I may or may not make it so that you can punch and send the opponent back if you are strong enough or it happens randomly. You can do that and stun the opponent so that you can use a long range attack like Gon's Rock-Paper-Scizzors: Paper attack which is a shot of energy at long distances. Anyway back to Ko. You will create a punch hitting another person's face, torso, arms or legs. You will need to train at Ryu to get to 100% to always be able to succeed at quickly adjust your energies and attack/defend. If a combo stuns an enemy and sends them back then you have a second to do a long range attack. Ok back to Ko again. You will create a macro on your keyboard and select punch and where to hit(face, torso, arm, leg). Its possible to break bones. If your leg is broken, you can't move until you heal it which is really bad in battle, if your arm is broken, you can't fight with it or if your head is broken you automatically lose. Again back to Ko. Let's say you make a macro keyboard key Q to be Ko which is punch 100% to the face. When you then press Q you will in 3/10 of a second adjust the Nen and, in 5/10 of a second, hit(Total 8/10 of a second). After you adjusted the Nen you are vulnerable and to getting hurt so if you get hurt before you throw the punch or if you threw the punch, it did low damage and the opponent counters, you will be left very vulnerable. This should be fun and engaging as you will need to in real time adjust your Nen to attack/defend quickly. Your body parts will also flash when they are about to get hit and there will a message where the opponent aims at. Maybe I will also include feinting in this game too. I will continue to improvise this plan.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement