Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ripples

This topic is 5899 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to make a wall texture "ripple" when a stray bullet goes through it - is it possible to do this when it''s just a water texture on a wall? Or do you have to create a wall of water yourself (i.e. not sticking a texture onto a wall). Any help? "I envy you, who has seen it all" "And I, young sir, envy you, who have yet to see it for the first time..." - Daniel Glenfield 1st October 2001

anything is possible to do. this idea sounds pretty interesting!

unfortunately, i think it is quite hard to create this effect. Are you working in 3d, or 2d? On solution may be to put a water ripple mesh, kind of like an explosion. Although this may not be the effect you wished for.

Assuming you''re using 3D, use an animated light map rendered on top of the wall. You adjust the position of the the ripple by adjusting the u,v coordinates of the light map texture on the wall.
This gives a good effect and isn''t very costly at all.

cheers,
-m

mat williams
Lead Programmer, Designer
Zero Sum Software
www.zero-sum.com

Sorry to sound like a dunce, but what''s the code to create a new light and position it on top of a wall? This would be REALLY helpful (once I get my demo together I''ll have it up on a website for all to see).

"I envy you, who has seen it all"
"And I, young sir, envy you, who have yet to see it for the first time..."
- Daniel Glenfield
1st October 2001