Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

esolem

Another Q for you professionals... about age.

In short: How old where you when you got your first job in the inudustry? I''m now 28, and starting to learn DirectX. I have been programming C++ on and off for 5-6 years. Programming in general for about 10 years. Is it to late for me? Or do I need to start on my own... Endre

Yeah, I am kinda in the same boat, just finished university and am competing with people younger than myself, but lots of older (40+ even) guys were in my course, and they had no problems getting jobs, so I am still confident.

I guess I can answer for the fun of it.

I''m currently 23. Been programming for the company I''m at for 3 years in april. I don''t have any schooling (in programming at least) and I think I''ve done fairly well considering. I mostly work in Java and Perl doing a lot of GUI interfaces and things. Wish I got a college degree, or high-school diploma for that matter, so I could "demand" a higher salary but hey, I''ll do that some day. =)

- Mike

Guest Anonymous Poster
Im 27 now. Ive been in the industry for almost 4 years.

Heres the ages of the programmers on my team.

2 twenty somethings
4 thirty somethings
1 forty something -- in games since the mid 80s.
1 fifty something -- in games since the late 70s.

I''m 14 and I am looking for a job. Anyone? I''ve been programming in DirectX/C++ for about a year and have read a lot of books on it. I also know good webpage design(even though my site sux) including flash. If this is a bonus, I know good graphic art and a little java. If you go to my site, you can see some older works(not real old) but now I''m programming isometric games so they seem old.

Because I am young, I would only ask for maybe 25% of the normal pay. Thanks!

My site is bgamesinc.tripod.com but this was created so fast and the games were created so fast that it is hardly anything of my potential.

I''m 14 too (in 2 days). I started programming with BASIC when I was 11. I started C++ a few months before I turned 13. I started Java...I forgot, but I think it''s been 6 months. OpenGL - since June. I want a job also but I can''t even get a work permit until the 25th. BOOHOO.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I turned 3 yesterday. I''ve been programming in BASIC for about
5 years, and then I switched to C++ which I have been doing now
for about 12 years. I know the theory of relativty, String
Theory, the existence of God, the meaning of life, and of
course, OpenGL. All I ask for is a decent supply of Huggies.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by kmsixpence
I''m 14 and I am looking for a job. Anyone? I''ve been programming in DirectX/C++ for about a year and have read a lot of books on it. I also know good webpage design(even though my site sux) including flash. If this is a bonus, I know good graphic art and a little java. If you go to my site, you can see some older works(not real old) but now I''m programming isometric games so they seem old.
Because I am young, I would only ask for maybe 25% of the normal pay. Thanks!
My site is bgamesinc.tripod.com but this was created so fast and the games were created so fast that it is hardly anything of my potential.

I''m not trying to discourage you, but sometimes it is better to have nothing than to have something crappy and say, "I can do better but I didn''t for some reason."
One sweet-ass game demo would be better than many ass ones; I would recommmend working on one until it is wonderful, then use it as an example of your work.

I reckon its better to have something ''crappy'' than nothing at all, but now that you seem to have sussed out the basics, kmsixpence, I think you should try making something that showcases you sills a bit more, something with nice graphics, and more substantial code.

Nobody is going to imploy a 14 year old. Regardless of the fact that any substatial work is illegal ( at least in the UK ) until the age of 16, you just wouldn''t have the experience. I would keep going at it, learning more, then get a decent degree.

>>I want a job also but I can''t even get a work permit until the 25th. BOOHOO.

No you don''t. If you really knew, you wouldn''t want the kind of job teenagers get. STAY UNEMPLOYED AS LONG AS POSSIBLE. Work on your programming instead.

------------------------------
Omnipotent_Q
"Natural Gas! It gives you... ideas!"

I personally think that having crappy games to show people and working on a good one is better than no games at all. And 14 is the legal age to work.

Because you should enjoy life. Your goal in life shouldn''t be to be sucessfull as everyone else sees it, but as you would define it. I define success with happiness and I''m sure you would be happy programming games in the way that you do now. But actually get a job and you''ll see its not quite so happy - no-one is going to give someone so young much say in the fun aspects of things - such as game design. Nor are they going to give you equal respect, you''ll be walked over, even if they don''t mean it - unless you are a child prodigy and can speak on the same mature level that everyone else is speaking. I mean, with the sort of skills you seem to be demonstrating, you''ve got 10 more years of happy fun developing games as a hobby, nevermind 10 years of not having to work for a living (I hope) and most likely an enjoyable college experience... work, work for most people is only about getting enough money so they have free time later in life.

Thanks for the advice! My friend and I wanted to start a company(lol) but I turned him down a week ago due to the non-funness of it. I guess I just thought it would be neat to be able to be in a company but whats the fun of it if your not having fun? I It seems like you always want something you don''t have and you get sick of what you do have. Lol

At 14 you''d be lucky to get an internship. Knowing DirectX doesn''t mean much. Putting pixels on the screen is easy. Manipulating data is what programming is really about. Making the pixels do interesting things like rotate and chase each other, ect. You need good problem solving skills, math skills (at least Trig but you should take every calc course as well).

You should be able to look at a game like Mario Bros or Tetris and without looking online or anywhere else explain how it works and then code it. That''s how I made my first real game when I was 15. Just by looking at MB I figured out everything I needed to learn, and learned it. File I/O, sprite animation, keyboard and joystick input, ect ect.

Graphics don''t matter. Yes it looks more impressive but if you''re going for a programming job they just want whatever''s on the screen to do something impressive. Graphics can be swapped out at any time.

I got my first programming job when I was 18.

Ben

[Icarus Independent | Jump Down The Rabbithole | Tombstone: Vendetta ]

I got started in the industry in June last year when I was 28. I had been studying everything games for about twelve years beforehand and just teaching myself as much as I could about game development. I failed uni (because I was playing too many games) and ended up doing pizza delivery, retail store assistant, computer assembly, ISP tech support, and eventually database application development before being in the right place at the right time to meet the directors of the company I now work for. I now have my name on three published titles and am lead programmer on another.

Age is not really an issue. What you need most is the passion for games.