Another Q for you professionals... about age.

Started by
15 comments, last by esolem 22 years, 5 months ago
>>I want a job also but I can''t even get a work permit until the 25th. BOOHOO.

No you don''t. If you really knew, you wouldn''t want the kind of job teenagers get. STAY UNEMPLOYED AS LONG AS POSSIBLE. Work on your programming instead.

------------------------------
Omnipotent_Q
"Natural Gas! It gives you... ideas!"
------------------------------Omnipotent_Q"Poor people are crazy. I'm eccentric."
Advertisement
I personally think that having crappy games to show people and working on a good one is better than no games at all. And 14 is the legal age to work.
About the next last post about stay unemployed. Why?
Because you should enjoy life. Your goal in life shouldn''t be to be sucessfull as everyone else sees it, but as you would define it. I define success with happiness and I''m sure you would be happy programming games in the way that you do now. But actually get a job and you''ll see its not quite so happy - no-one is going to give someone so young much say in the fun aspects of things - such as game design. Nor are they going to give you equal respect, you''ll be walked over, even if they don''t mean it - unless you are a child prodigy and can speak on the same mature level that everyone else is speaking. I mean, with the sort of skills you seem to be demonstrating, you''ve got 10 more years of happy fun developing games as a hobby, nevermind 10 years of not having to work for a living (I hope) and most likely an enjoyable college experience... work, work for most people is only about getting enough money so they have free time later in life.
Thanks for the advice! My friend and I wanted to start a company(lol) but I turned him down a week ago due to the non-funness of it. I guess I just thought it would be neat to be able to be in a company but whats the fun of it if your not having fun? I It seems like you always want something you don''t have and you get sick of what you do have. Lol
At 14 you''d be lucky to get an internship. Knowing DirectX doesn''t mean much. Putting pixels on the screen is easy. Manipulating data is what programming is really about. Making the pixels do interesting things like rotate and chase each other, ect. You need good problem solving skills, math skills (at least Trig but you should take every calc course as well).

You should be able to look at a game like Mario Bros or Tetris and without looking online or anywhere else explain how it works and then code it. That''s how I made my first real game when I was 15. Just by looking at MB I figured out everything I needed to learn, and learned it. File I/O, sprite animation, keyboard and joystick input, ect ect.

Graphics don''t matter. Yes it looks more impressive but if you''re going for a programming job they just want whatever''s on the screen to do something impressive. Graphics can be swapped out at any time.

I got my first programming job when I was 18.

Ben

[Icarus Independent | Jump Down The Rabbithole | Tombstone: Vendetta ]
I got started in the industry in June last year when I was 28. I had been studying everything games for about twelve years beforehand and just teaching myself as much as I could about game development. I failed uni (because I was playing too many games) and ended up doing pizza delivery, retail store assistant, computer assembly, ISP tech support, and eventually database application development before being in the right place at the right time to meet the directors of the company I now work for. I now have my name on three published titles and am lead programmer on another.

Age is not really an issue. What you need most is the passion for games.
Steve 'Sly' Williams  Monkey Wrangler  Krome Studios
turbo game development with Borland compilers

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement