• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
RaduIulianGabriel

Creating a very simple multiplayer game.

This topic is 2177 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello. For few months I've been toying around with C++/C#/Java and AS3. I've managed to create some simple games like Pong, Mario-like platformer, Angry Birds - like game, Solitaire, a racing game and few others. I feel confident enough and I would like some indications for creating some online multiplayer games. No, I'm not thinking at games like World of Warcraft/League of Legends or any other similar games, I'm not stupid. I was just thinking at something like 2-players Pong, Tic Tac Toe, 2-player racing game, an online card game and a chess game. First, I was thinking of using Java/Flash to make the games and embed them in a website (would be great if I can use blogspot.com or any other free website creating platforms for testing purposes). No downloadable client, browser based. And second, for the card/chess game I would like some indications about managing player accounts and allow players to save their progress (number of wins/losses, cards color/art all saved to their account which they can access with their username/pass). 

I'm doing this for personal-purpose only, and for the start, managing to get pong working online (so I can play it with one of my friends to say) would be a great achievment to me. So, what would be my next step at this moment?

Advertisement

Sounds like a plan. What, specifically, are you having problems with?

Btw: For future-proofing, I'd recommend trying HTML5 and Websockets for your game infrastructure, rather than Flash or Java. Both those plug-ins have spotty support, and appear to be falling by the wayside long term (Java more so than Flash right now, but the writing's on the wall with no iOS support.)

Yes, you do! It's often enough to start with your own computer and a dyn-dns setup for development, but for deployment, you want hosting either on some cloud (Amazon ECC, Heroku, Linode, Rackspace, etc) or using some self-managed server. The FAQ has a few more pointers.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!