Game Development Studios needed

Started by
12 comments, last by Orymus3 10 years, 10 months ago

If you follow Tom's plan, which is about as good a plan as you're going to get this side of being independently-wealthy, you're going to reach a point where even the "interested" studios are going to ask, point-blank, how much money you have secured for funding this venture

This is exactly what happened, but since I haven't done anything like this before I assumed it wasn't standard procedure, so finaly I posted this tread to compare with more expirienced developers in this matter.

On the Kickstarter side of the coin, it would be dishonest of you to claim that you have anyone lined up to do the work, and you've already admitted to not being able to do it yourself. Its perfectly fine to run a Kickstarter and say that the money will be used to hire a studio, but that doesn't strike me as the sort of thing that will inspire the confidence necessary to make your campaign successful. Especially since there will be no backup plan if you're unable to secure a studio with whatever funds you've raised.

I wasn't going to promise anything until I was sure that I will find anyone to do the job. Acctually this was my plan: to contact some studio, elaborate in detail type of game, ask them to do some kind of financial construction, use that financial construction and add 25%(it is always something that I can't see), ask studio if it is acceptable, if answer is positive start the project. So no dishonesty here only the idea for game will decide if funding will be raised. However, I entirely agree with what you said, if I go other way around and try to start campain claiming that I will hire the studio, that will leave space for suspicion of completition the project. And that brought me to the first point that you also have mentioned, studios ask for your budget even before they saw your project.It is kind of loop.

If hiring a team is your only angle, then Tom's outline is as good as it gets for you. However, if you really want your game to see the light of day, then my recommendation would be to figure out a way to keep moving on your own, or with volunteers. As Hodgeman pointed out, many of those teams you see succeeding with small, targeted Kickstarter campaigns today are small, volunteer teams that have been working for months or years without external funding, and usually for a share of the studio/profits rather than any kind of salary. Try to pick up skills and recruit a team of volunteers that can take your idea to the next level. Unless you're a big name, the success of a given Kickstarter campaign almost always directly correlated to how much progress (or past success) you can demonstrate.

When we started, we started as team of volunteers with mutual agreement that even there is possibility of financial failute, game must see the light of day. However somethimes will and wisdom aren't enough. I havent decided wich course of action I will take but if game ever manage to see the light of day, I can promise you that I will write

detailed manuel of how it was done.

Thank you for your thoughts, it was very encouraging to see that I wasn't wrong in everything.

Advertisement

I doubt many people here, if anyone, has experience in hiring a studio to implement a big game concept (like an RPG), because it's quite a large and expensive endevor!

I do.

That said, I don't believe Kickstarter allows you to fund a project in an attempt to hire a contractor in this way.

If I were you, I'd start by double checking Kickstarter modalities.

Also, wouldn't it be better to have direct creative input on the game rather than issue an SOW to a potential vendor?

That said, I don't believe Kickstarter allows you to fund a project in an attempt to hire a contractor in this way.

I didn't know this, I'll check it right away.

Also, wouldn't it be better to have direct creative input on the game rather than issue an SOW to a potential vendor?

It would be best, however I am running out of ideas.

Thank you for your input.

EDIT:

You were right, i quote:

"Kickstarter cannot be used to fund software projects not run by the developers themselves."

So it is down to this:

Follow steps: 1-7 Tom wrote, and hope that you are excessively lucky, or continue with development at all costs.

Thanks you helped a lot.

Follow steps: 1-7 Tom wrote, and hope that you are excessively lucky, or continue with development at all costs.

Be careful about step 7. You'll need a lot more than just sheer luck. Possibly, the majority of the people that will bid for this project (if any) will try to turn up a profit on their end by any means possible, by cutting quality, etc. You'll need to check into their track record (if any). Don't blindly trust them with the results. And you'll still need the money too!

Good luck.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement