BMFont crashes when using a custom font file in OTF format

Started by
7 comments, last by WitchLord 10 years, 9 months ago

in the font settings dialog i specify a font in OTF format and then select it in the font dropdown dialog box.

afterwards when clicking on save bitmap as or save configurations as it crashes

version 1.14 beta

my os is win7 64 bit

i am not sure how i can provide you with any more information.

Advertisement

I'll see if I can reproduce this and have it fixed. Thanks for letting me know.

Regards,

Andreas

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

ok thanks!

this is a font that triggers the problem:

http://www.dafont.com/fontdinerdotcom-lou.font

i then converted this to OTF using a windows build of fontforge.

which i uploaded here:

http://www.deviantsart.com/upload/38n3995.otf

if you select all possible glyphs and then export, it crashes.

btw, i have a question about the meaning of the additional font file that can be specified.

is it

A) one that should be used to fill missing glyps for the one that is selected in the box above

or

B) one where all glyphs should be taken from

thanks!

The link to the .otf file isn't working. Can you post the correct link? Or even attach the .otf file to the post itself?

In answer to your question. The font file that you can specify is to allow you to convert a font that is not first installed in your system. By selecting the font file, the fonts from that file will be available to be selected from in the drop down box together with the other fonts that are installed.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

I was able to reproduce a crash with another .otf font (Arno Pro). I can't be sure if it is the same crash that you're experiencing, but it happened when exporting characters with Unicode value above 0x10000.

I've fixed this crash and uploaded a new version of the 1.14 beta to the site. Please give it a try and see if it fixed the problem you're experiencing too.

Regards,

Andreas

yeah the crash seems fixed. thanks a lot for that! (i have corrected the link of my otf, but its not relevant anymore.)

thanks for the explanation of the additional font file.

that brings me to a feature request:

i would like to specify a font which i have not installed, AND in addition specify another font from where missing glyphs in the first font file should be taken from.

for example that one font i uploaded has only the basic glyphs a-Z, 0-9, so in order to also show cyrlilic text, it should use glyphs from Arial Unicode MS (which seems to contain almost every glyph).

I've added this suggestion to my to-do list. I can't give any estimate as to when it might possibly be implemented though.

Regards,

Andreas

cool thanks,

btw, did you ever consider making bmfont open source? this way others can contribute features.

I've thought about it several times, and I'll probably end up doing it eventually. But not yet.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement