• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gun Names! WEEEE!!!

This topic is 5823 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

TBK charges - used to blow open doors. (The Big Key)
Heh.

If you want abbreviations, look at the British Army. They love ''em.

My favourites are:

LSW - Light Support Weapon

LSV - Light Strike Vehicle

GPMG - General Purpose Machine Gun.

Another one everyone loves: Bouncing Betty. These things are huge shrapnel bombs that are embedded in the floor, and when triggered they jump up to chest height before exploding, so they cover a wider area. They actually exist!!

If you want to go for the classics, look for things like the Bren gun, Sten gun, etc.

Some of my own creations:

FDP - Fast Deployment Projectile

PSG - Projectile Self Guided

Advertisement
For a laugh, why not include antique weapons in the game? Have the central player get trapped in a museum and have to use the exhibits to escape?

Muskets, muzzle loading pistols, that sort of thing.

Some examples are Blunderbus, Harquebus, Manquebus, percussion cap detonation, match lock, wheel lock, flint lock, etc.

Traditional black powder cannons, howitzers, and so on.

Oooh, I just thought of another one:

GKW Cannon. Ammunition=God Knows What, ie you can cram anything that will fit into the breech and it will fire it. Old nuts and bolts, recycled shrapnel, vials of unknown chemicals, globs of molten plastic from the last hit to your body armour, you name it. This weapon would be enormous fun to use in a game, because you just never know exactly what it will do when you pull the trigger.

"GKW Cannon. Ammunition=God Knows What, ie you can cram anything that will fit into the breech and it will fire it. Old nuts and bolts, recycled shrapnel, vials of unknown chemicals, globs of molten plastic from the last hit to your body armour, you name it. This weapon would be enormous fun to use in a game, because you just never know exactly what it will do when you pull the trigger."

You can use dead enemies bodyparts as ammo.

has anyone mentioned http://www.securityarms.com ? Its the biggest list of real-life weapons i know, so you should find all the inspiration you need there.

Usually a gun is named after the Manufacturer + Model Number (+Caliber)

like:

AK-47 (Automat Kalashnikova)
FAMAS (Fusil Automatique Manufacture d´Armes St. Martine... i think)
HK-G36e (Heckler&Koch something or other)
Steyr AUG (Armee Universal Gewehr)

quote:
Original post by Dactylos
The russian word "sputnik" literally means "travel companion". A fearsome name for a weapon

Hmm... Thanx for the help. I am born in Russia my friend, so shutup.

- err, the last signiture sucked bigtime!

How about using foreign words?

German
Panzer= armor
Faust= Fist
Schrek= fear
Jager= hunter
Fusilier= rifle
Richter= knight

Japanese
ken= sword
shi= saint or death (depending on kanji)
mu shin= "peace" or "void" (mu=empty shin=mind)
ai nuke= mutual destruction (ai = harmony or combine, nuke= end or finish)
oni= demon
aiki= controlled energy

Me personally, I don''t like descriptive words for weapons unless they are acronyms for something. I think just having the company name of the gun is enough and lends a sense of real power, rather than some cheesy sounding term. At worst, I''d do something like this:

Colt BPPC M31 (Binary Propellant Phase Cooled) for a futuristic based binary propellant caseless munitions Assault Rifle.

For a sniper''s laser weapon, maybe something like:

H&K CFAD Mk29 (Crystalline Focused Detonation Laser)

Once you develop something that is logically consistent everything will seem like it belongs to a consistently logical world. Nothing ruins my fun quicker than logical inconsistencies (I won''t get started on Giant mecha...I won''t get started on Giant Mecha...relax...count to 10....1,2,3...pheeew ). And seeing some cheesy sounding vehicle or weapon in a genre that''s supposed to be realistic just burns my butt. But that''s just me, and if anything, I''m in the minority....so maybe you shouldn''t listen to me

The general formula appears to be manufacturers initials + serial number + name. In that spirit:

Seburo(SB):
Maker of precision silenced pistols.
SB-16 Pindrop
SB-32 Whisper
SB-64 Footfall
Coloumb & Faraday Electromagnetics(CFE):
Shock prods and magnetic firearms
CFE-100V Sparker
CFE-10000V Thunderbolt
American Lock & Latch(ALL):
Extreme security devices
ALL-12AM Antipersonnel Mine
ALL-47MPAT Man-Portable Automated Turret
Mojave Heavy Industires(MHI):
Really, really big guns.
MHE-150HMG Heavy Machine Gun: "REASON"
MHE-300WGM Wire-Guided Missile: "DIPLOMACY"
Transylvania National Arms(TNA):
Catering to an, um, specialized market.
TNA-STC30 30 cm Stake Cannon
TNA-HWG Holy Water Grenades: Guaranteed blessed by licensed priest of major religion of your choice.

Have fun! I know I am.

---------------------------------------------------
-SpittingTrashcan

You can''t have "civilization" without "civil".

quote:
Original post by Dauntless
How about using foreign words?

German
Panzer= armor
Faust= Fist
Schrek= fear
Jager= hunter
Fusilier= rifle
Richter= knight

just be sure to consult a dictionary and not the gamedev.net forums for accurate translation help.

it´s more like this:

Panzer= armor, but also tank or shell (as in turtle)
Schreck= not exactly fear but rather fright (more startled than fear)
Jäger=hunter
Fusilier= that´s not German and does not mean rifle. What you meant was fusil, which is French and means gun. A fusilier is the guy who carries the gun - a rifleman.
Richter= not knight but judge. Ritter would be the word for knight.

Hase

whoops, you got me. Fusil is indeed a french word..and I misheard my dad when he told me what knight was (my dad''s the real military history buff, my brother has a PhD in military history specializing in Soviet Naval power, but my father knows more than my brother does).

I''m trying to find an old game I had with some neat Cantonese and mandarin names but I can''t seem to find it now. All I can recall is that Long/Leung and Lee/Li = dragon.

But I still think that foreign words are kind of neat and lend a more accurate feel, unless of course your game background does reside totally from US-based factions. And I''m still against the "cool" sounding names. To me, its just...well, hate to insult anyone here that likes those kind of names...but I just think it''s very adolescent. That''s a little different than say providing names like they did to Fighter aircraft. How many people know thta P51= mustang, P47= thunderbolt, P38= Lightningbolt, F4= corsair, P41= warhawk, B17= liberator, etc etc. Now that''s cool, because it has a nickname but an official name as well. So I like naming schemes, like Generals for tanks (Sherman, Lee, Bradley etc) Indian tribes for helicopters (Apache, Kiowa, Chinook, etc), but just naming some sort of descriptor sounds cheesy to me.

"The Hand-Held Battery-Operated Color-Enhanced Laser-Guided Clip-Fed Light-Weight Infantry Assault Rifle with a Hair trigger and a Scope."

Commonly known as "THHBOCELGCFLWIARHS", pronounced "tee-aych-hib-okah-lig-see-fel-wee-arr-hiss".

~Dwarf

Complete amatures whose only relevant skill is programming undertake to design games with no further preparation than their own experience as game players. Those who overrate their own understanding undercut their own potential for learning.

In Return to Castle Wolfenstein, there is a special sniper rifle. It is an M1-Garrand with a night vision scope (I guess they forgot there wasn''t any night visiion in WW2). Anyway, they decided to name it the "Snooper Rifle." Snooper?!?!?! For god''s sake call it an M1-Garrand!

In short, just use company names!

And now for something completely different... what if the character in the game actually names the gun?

The bad guy turns around, to see our hero. In his hands a ten barrelled, belt fed, laser guided, armor piercing, 150lb clump of glorious silver destruction with dual grenade launchers, short range missile launcher, real cowhide leather carrying strap (...and optional cup holder!).

Bad Guy: What... is... THAT?

Hero: This? This is SALLY.

It is true that names that correctly correspond to the purpose and properties of any item in a game will be percieved more intrigueing by the (human) mind.
Unless you have a childs or newbie mind that is.

If you absolutely have to invent something exceptional, always think about what a REAL life VIP would call it in times of war. (or such).

My names for some invented ones.

H&K HH-PA 40 : Heckler & Koch Hand Held - Particle Accelerator 40 mega watt.

Steyr UUG 60 : Steyr Uberladen Universal Gewehr 60 gigawatt (Bet this one stings alot).

FA-MPAR RPG5 : Full Auto - Multi Purpose Assault Rifle ,Rocket Propelled Grenade , 5.56 mm (<- this one actually exists today under another name)

CHILDREN LIKE THESE NAMES:
------------------------------------------------------------
Toe Jamming Bubblegum. (This would be the equal of a hand held grenade)
Ueck Ueck Thrower.
Poopshooter
Snotcatapult
Accelerated Fartfan.
Candy Snatcher.

I would like to see a CS type of game, where one side has children weaponry and the other side have grown up stuff.
Or better: Let it be a client side property.
The best of two worlds without anyone getting annoyed.

"Arn''s skull was cleaved by Hull''s SA-80 slug."
will look like this on children client:
"FartArn''s hair was entangled in SnotHull''s toejam bubblegum."
Or the newbie versions:
"[dEs]tHrEshEr was owned by A^t^t^A^CC''s rocket."

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Hull
Steyr UUG 60 : Steyr Uberladen Universal Gewehr 60 gigawatt (Bet this one stings alot).

the character you were looking for was Ü (Überladen), although it doesn´t really make sense.

usually gun names are rather simple, try to keep them short (nobody will want to remember a string of ten characers).

Some common formats are:

(manufacturer) (weapon type) (model number)
(manufacturer) (caliber) (weapon type)
(manufacturer) (weapon type) (year of introduction)

there are a few others around, but if you use formats which people are familiar with the players will have less trouble picking up the gun names and less trouble applying them.

a few examples:

Steyr AUG (Steyr Armee Universal Gewehr) or Stg 77 (same gun, first introduced in 1977), same with AK 47. An example for the first format would be the HK Mp5 (Heckler&Koch Machine Pistol no.5).
So basically it would seem like a good idea to keep the name to two clusters of characters/numbers.

Being from the Marine Corp, allow me to maturely answer your questions.

American weapons are named for their calibur, manufactorer, and/or serial number or year of birth.

German weapons are usually named for their capabilities (i.e., "panzerfausts" are "armor smashers" (roughly translated)).

Okay? So let''s stop arguing. Different countries name their weapons differently.

But when you get into calling things "Desert Eagle" and "Snooper", those are meerely nicnames.

A great way to implement all this would have the player be able to nickname it, but the weapon still holds it''s original title. (which renders the nickname pointless)

~Dwarf

• Advertisement