Research on innovative knowledge and idea sharing within the video game industry

Started by
9 comments, last by gkhn 10 years, 10 months ago

Hi fellow gamers!

First of all, I would like to briefly introduce myself. I am a Master student at the VU University in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. I am studying Business Administration, part of the Faculty of Economics and Business Administration. Currently, I am working on my graduation paper about 'knowledge and idea sharing within online communities'. The study is aimed at assessing your motivations in relation to innovative knowledge and idea sharing activities as well as the effectiveness of these activities in online communities (forums) within the Video Game Industry.

For data collection I have set up an online survey, and I would like to kindly ask you to fill it out and maybe even share it with your fellow gamer friends. Every single gamer filling it out helps. It is critical for the completion of my study, to have enough respondents with valuable feedback. It is intended for gamers from all platforms (PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo, PC, handhelds, mobile gaming etc).

The survey is located at http://www.thesistools.com/web/?id=355778

It will take you approximately 5 minutes to answer all the questions. Since these questions are about your opinion, experience and feelings, there are no right or wrong answers. Therefore, please try to be as honest as possible when answering these questions. Your answers are entirely confidential and will only be used for academic purpose.

Finally, please not that this is about VIDEO games, not board games or card games or anything similar.

If you have any questions please contact the e-mail address provided in the online survey, send me a private message, or reply here.

I would like to thank you in advance for your time, attention, and help. It will be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement

Many of your questions don't make much sense.

You define the "game community" as game players. But you are asking questions to game developers.

For example:

"Sharing innovative knowledge and ideas will promote my status in my online game community."

Game programmers and game artists posting the innovations on game player sites will not help their status; it will get them fired.

Many of your questions don't make much sense.

You define the "game community" as game players. But you are asking questions to game developers.

For example:

"Sharing innovative knowledge and ideas will promote my status in my online game community."

Game programmers and game artists posting the innovations on game player sites will not help their status; it will get them fired.

First of all, thank you for your comment. The questions do make sense if you tackle the questions from a gamers' point of view. So, if you do (like to) play games, try to put on the gamer hat when filling out the survey :). Once again, thank you.

Did you make a reworded version of each question...?

Its ok, but having them always next to each other makes me just use the same answer for both without really even reading the second one.

o3o

Did you make a reworded version of each question...?

Its ok, but having them always next to each other makes me just use the same answer for both without really even reading the second one.

Thank you for your question and your comment. No I did not reword questions. I adapted variables that were used in existing literature. The reason why some set of questions look similar is that the combination of those questions belong to a construct. For example, if you were to measure 'trust', you would need certain questions/items related to trust. And the sum of this set of questions should be able to explain 'trust'. It is virtually impossible to measure it based on just 1 question. I hope this clarifies your question.

For example these two (second question was it):

I *know that* members in the online game community *will always try and help me out* if I *get into difficulties concerning* the game in question.

I *can always trust* members in the online game community *to lend me a hand* if I *need it for* the game in question.

To me mean the exact same thing.

I know in surveys and stuff there usually are multiple questions asking the same thing to ensure correctness and minimize the effect of wording on the choices of people and so on, but i feel like this is ineffective when they are next to each other. In most surveys the questions measuring the same thing are usually spaced apart, so that you have forgotten your previous answer and will reprocess the question, which is needed for the multiple questions to fill their purpose. It might be because i was doing the survey on mobile so i paid more attention to things slowing me down ._.

o3o

So far I am glad with the number of participants, so thank you for the ones who participated. Nevertheless, I still need 40-50 or so respondents, therefore I would like to encourage those who haven't filled in the survey yet, I would really appreciate it!

Come on game-lovers, help out a fellow-gamer for the completion of my study :). It'll only take you maximum 5 minutes since there aren't that many questions. Thanks in advance!

Even with my "gamer hat" on, this survey confuses me a lot.

"Recognition from the host" - who is the host? Is that like the game owners/developers of a game I play? Or someone who starts a thread about game development that I reply helpfully to? Or what? (I do not play any player-hosted games/private servers.)

An overall difficulty is that some games and/or their communities are much more directly competitive than others, and I adapt to that - my default behavior is to always help and share ideas, but I certainly won't help my opponent in a tournament or other situation where we are competing for a prize. Or if I have a monopoly on some moneymaking strategy in an online game, I won't give away the secret of my success to people who would start competing with me.

Section 4 is a bit baffling, because the instructions talk about performing activities, but the actual questions are not activities. So it's like you're asking, "How often do you the knowledge and ideas to create new contents for your game?" That sentence no verb. Also, is my game the one I am playing in the above questions, or a different one I'd like to create? In most cases it isn't even possible to create contents for the games I play, though a few games accept user-created content. I'm way more likely to create content for an in-development game I am not a player of than for a professional game I am a player of.

Community membership period - is this an average for a specific game, the longest for a single game, or the length that I've been a member of any/all game communities?

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Just a couple more, then I'm finally done with collecting data.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement