RPG Battle systems

Started by
50 comments, last by black_mage_s 22 years, 5 months ago
quote:Original post by Kylotan
kordova, I know you didn''t say anything about changing names around, but that is essentially what a lot of this comes down to. If you base your new systems too directly on a single previous system, then you''re pretty much limited to just changing the cosmetics of it. The poster who originally mentioned using innovation (Ingenu) was referring to the fact that black_mage_s seemed to be thinking only in terms of the Final Fantasy style games. In black_mage_s''s defence, I think he was actually trying to point out that a lot of these games are too similar, but then there are many systems that are quite different. There''s a large case of Finalfantasyitis in the RPG world where everything is measured against or compared to Final Fantasy in some form or other. Which is a shame, because other games have a lot to offer too.

Why do you equate innovation with realism? And why do you equate realism with needing to study to degree level? A little searching on the web, a night''s reading, and a few posts to relevant newsgroups can get you a surprising level of knowledge in no time, if you''re interested. That should be part of any designer''s skillset, anyway: the desire and ability to research and learn about new fields to apply to their game. Either way, you can do things differently just by looking at more than 1 system before choosing how to do a new one.

You also imply that there''s something wrong with building from scratch. I''ve built combat systems, among other things, from scratch several times. Not just for computer games: for tabletop wargames, and for pen/paper roleplaying games. It''s not that difficult.

Of course, very little you create is going to be 100% different from whatever is already out there. But it''s going to be more interesting than just taking a standard system and changing a few bits, which is what you get if you don''t do much research into alternatives. Which is what I think the whole ''innovate!'' comment was about.

For starters when I said "build....scratch" I was referring to when I said build and thereby saying TO start from scratch.

Second, I am speaking of innovation and ascertaining the necessary knowledge to implement it, in this case people were going off on the "realistic" tangent (i.e. health is this, no its this etc.). I also have created gaming systems etc. and I understand your approach to your response but I am referring simply to this game.

Third, as I said before, we agree nearly completely on these topics, again our conflict being misinterpretation of each others posts.
Advertisement
I swear..one of these days I will register...but this was to good to pass up

Why not think in terms of how the player is suppost to act in the face of damage to his character?...most players likely wouldn''t flinch if thier 300HP charactor took 10HP of damage (bringing him down to 290HP) "Tis, but a flesh wound!"...but if they dropped down to say 30HP then the player would scramble to use a heal spell or item...so right here we have the player involved in two seperate "playing states"...everything is okay...and panicing to make things better...
So, essentualy the charactor basicly only has a max of 2HP...2HP = everything is okay...1HP = "oh no! I gotta do something"...and 0HP = game over...

Think about this...even after playing for hours on end ("leveling-up") that player will still face enemies that can beat him just as quickly as the minor creatures at the start of the game...those old wolves might be easyer to beat then they used to be...but the creatures the player faces to move the story forward are just as deadly and difficult to beat as those old wolves used to be...so...honestly what is the point in even haveing the player "level up"? To move things forward the player will face enemies that are basicly at the same level he is...the player doesn''t really get any better...it''s just an illusion...if halfway through the game and in need of "leveling up" does that player go back to fight the creatures he fought at the begining of the game? no...he goes and fights the last creatures he fought before (the ones at the beginning of the game won''t give him enough experience point to be worth the trouble)...
With this in mind HP, EXP, and such really arn''t needed as they only provide the illusion that the player is advanceing when the real advancement comes with location change/story moveing forward

Just food for thought

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement