Challenges in game programming

Started by
7 comments, last by superman3275 10 years, 9 months ago

I have just started learning game/graphics programming (with OpenGL) for a few days. Everything I know so far is very basic like camera, VBO, shader concepts,...I'm just very curious to know what common challenges/problems in game programming are to kinda estimate the time I will need to dedicate to my learning. My biggest goal at the moment is to make a decent looking 3d game with many open worlds and pretty looking shaders.

What are the challenges that I should be afraid of (or prepared for) the most to make that kind of game?

Advertisement
From what you described, your biggest 'challenge/problem' will be the discovery that your game requires a lot of content.

From what you described, your biggest 'challenge/problem' will be the discovery that your game requires a lot of content.

That is also a good point. Thank you sir.

I would say any game programming challenge is time constraints.

Problem solving takes time and every new problem you are facing for the first time is hard to estimate how much time it would take to solve it.

It also takes time to research the ideas on how to better approach the problem.

First don't aim that higher. Baby steps!(

).

I would say any game programming challenge is time constraints.

Problem solving takes time and every new problem you are facing for the first time is hard to estimate how much time it would take to solve it.

It also takes time to research the ideas on how to better approach the problem.

Yes that is a challenge in almost every task.

).

I always aim high in anything I do but I 'take baby steps' too.

I'm sorry I didn't make my question clear but it doesn't matter, I will just discover the challenge as I move on then :P

Not specific to game programming, but generally:

* Requirements analysis (the single hardest thing - mainly because your customers are guaranteed not to know what their requirements are, particularly for games, which usually looks something like "be fun")

* Time management - knowing how much time to spend on which tasks

* Knowing when a task is complete (this is very difficult in a game)

* Knowing how to split up large tasks, and when the tasks are split small enough

).

I always aim high in anything I do but I 'take baby steps' too.

I'm sorry I didn't make my question clear but it doesn't matter, I will just discover the challenge as I move on then tongue.png

That doesn't work.

You can either take everyone's advice (to start smaller and learn how to properly program a game), or fall face-first while trying to make a game that you honestly could never make without at least more than one year of experience. Believe me, I tried to make that big 2d game and failed. You will also. Please, just take our advice.

Cheers :)!

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja !

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement