advice on pc build.

Started by
46 comments, last by Vortez 10 years, 9 months ago
so, i'm putting together a pc from scratch finally, and just wanted to get some advice to A. make sure i didn't put anything stupid together(such as wrong power supply, bad case, or even a bad mb combos). and any suggestions on improvements to potentially save some costs here and there where you guys see fit.

the current build: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=23214866
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.
Advertisement

I'd recommend posting a link that others can view.

try it now, I think i fixed it.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

Seems fine to me, though I might suggest upgrading the HDD a little. 16MB HDD cache is pretty small, seeing as 64MB is a pretty normal cache size these days. Something like this has a 64GBMB (edit: oops) cache and an extra 500GB of disk space for only $15 more (I wasn't looking either, I just picked the first link I found, so a little shopping wouldn't be a bad idea).

[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

Something like this has a 64GB cache

64GB cache! Holy crap! tongue.png

I had issues with the 1333MHz version of those RAM sticks, they would consistently fail after about 2 months, I RMA'ed and was returned faulty sticks. I gave up after that.

Looks fine otherwise, everything fits together. I would suggest adding a smallish SSD if you can smile.png and perhaps a second hard drive because 500GB gets used up really quickly (unless you already have an external hard drive)

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Select some Corsair or Kingston ram, those are usually good quality.

Dont cheap out on things like the motherborad, ram and powersupply - it will only make the system more unstable.

*Elaborating:

Your powersupply seems like a good choice, the rams would benifit from being upgraded to corsiar/kingston, as mentioned.

I have little experience with AMD system combos as i usually choose INTEL, so i cant comment on the motherboard.

If you want are more silence PC, it would also recommend to choosing a different cabinet/case - if you went for the look, then its fine i guess.

This PC is useless without SSD!

ok, so first of all, i'm happy to hear i didn't make any fundamental mistakes.
also, i added a 64gb ssd, and a 1TB hdd to complement it.
I also switched over to 8gb Corsair ram.

@Zwonkie, i know the MB is a bit on the lower side, but it has pretty good reviews, so i don't think it'll be too much of an issue. also most of the negative feedback is being directly addressed by the manufacturer, so that gives me a bit of confidence.

Dont buy an SSD under 120GB.

I would only buy a power supply from a manufacturer that is dedicated to power supplies only.

Windows 8 is a placeholder between 2 successful versions ...as it was Vista and Windows 2000.

I only chime in because of this;

I would only buy a power supply from a manufacturer that is dedicated to power supplies only.

I have a corsair power supply very similar to the one in that wish list and I love it. Have had 0 issues with it. One of the main reasons I like Corsair for power supplies, is that they make their supplies with a single 12V rail. I have ran into so many issues upgrading hardware and running into power issues with the amps are split across multiple 12v rails. Depending on your needs, you most likely dont need more than 1 12v rail, and it reduces headaches later. Maybe more manufactures do this now, but 2 years ago they were not. It becomes more of an issue lately because those stinking graphic cards take up so much power, that often cheaper split rail power supplies cant support the juice unless you rig multiple rails pushing into the card, which is not always an option...

jmillerdev.com

Follow me @jmillerdev

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement