C++ programing book and game developing

Started by
30 comments, last by xREXISx 10 years, 9 months ago

Hey,

I am looking for a book (or more) for c++ that teach me the language from the beginning to the point where i should be an "expert" on it. (does not matter if i need more then one book i will learn it :) )

And if you guys could give me a book that would be good on game developing (I will use Opengl if that matter) that would help me move on.

i know that basics of c++ but i dont think i know enough, I really want a book that cover's everything that i should know.

thanks a lot for your help!

Advertisement

Unfortunately just reading about C++ isn't going to take you from beginner to expert, it's going to take a long time and a lot of coding.

With that said, there are a number of excellent resources out there to set you on your way :

http://www.learncpp.com/

Game Coding Complete : http://www.amazon.com/Game-Coding-Complete-Fourth-Edition/dp/1133776574

Your best bet is to start small. Give yourself a project to complete, and code, code code. Try making a pac-man game, an implementation of snake, pong or space invaders. The important thing is to practise actually writing code - as much as you can!

thanks a lot!

is there any other books someone will recommend me?

Here is the C++ section of my getting started in gamedev guide. It contains free as well as dead tree book recommendations for learning C++, although you need to add +1 to the edition at this point. Make sure whatever book you pay for is oriented toward C++ 11. Basically open it up and if smart pointers ( unique_ptr, shared_ptr, weak_ptr ) aren't mentioned in the first half of the text, put it back on the self. You will find this happens FARRRRRR to often, where the authors are being lazy and just adding the C++11 stuff as new chapters at the end, which is very much the wrong approach. Far too many C++ books, as a result of being 9th editions, are teaching some very horrible and outdated C++ techniques.

Once you know what you are doing, get Effective C++, it's one of the best computer texts ever written and will make you a better programmer. I hope he does an update soon.

I haven't checked it out recently, but the Without Fear series was always very accessible, so if you struggle with dry textbooks on C++, it might be a good choice. Not sure if its updated and if they did a good job or not though.

thanks, i dont really have an access to see the books because in my city there isnt really a "computer" section, and i am pretty sure there isnt any books on c++ on my city,

so if you could please tell me what book should be good that teaches the latest c++ version and techniques that would be great and im pretty much not just for me but for

everyone who is looking for one so as I.

i will order from Amazon if that's possible and i would like to order the second book you suggested too so i will look for a book too if you guys cant find one and i will update you guys here :)

thanks for your help and i hope you will keep helping me and other's :)

thanks, i dont really have an access to see the books because in my city there isnt really a "computer" section, and i am pretty sure there isnt any books on c++ on my city,

so if you could please tell me what book should be good that teaches the latest c++ version and techniques that would be great and im pretty much not just for me but for

everyone who is looking for one so as I.

i will order from Amazon if that's possible and i would like to order the second book you suggested too so i will look for a book too if you guys cant find one and i will update you guys here smile.png

thanks for your help and i hope you will keep helping me and other's smile.png

I need to warn you, until you know C++, Effective C++ will be absolutely useless to you! It's about making you a better C++ programmer, not teaching you C++ in general. The book assumes a lot of prior knowledge. You could get something out of it, but without experience, it wont be much.

If you can read books online, you may want to consider Safari Books Online. That is what I personally use, its an online subscription to about 14000 books. Its pricey or cheap depending on your perspective, its about the same as 2/3 a new book per month, so if you buy a book a month, it's a bargain, if you dont, its not. OF course, if you cant read on a screen, it wont be much use to use, but I read on my tablets or on screen without issue.

I just did a quick look on Safari, ordered by date.

The author of C++ without Fear ( a great beginners text ) has released C++ for the Impatient, which looks like a very good option, if you have some prior programming experience. ( It assumes you know some programming basics, but no prior C or C++ knowledge ). The author does a great job of making difficult things easy to understand. The book is obviously written for C++ 11 which is nice.

C++ for Programmers, 2nd Edition has been updated to C++11. I just now skimmed the changes and its somewhat obvious C++ was bolted on ( pointers are in chapter 8, while smart pointers are in chapter 11 for example ), they have updated the text with callouts saying when C++11 has rendered something bad practice. Seems like an OK book, but might be a bit confusing to learn from.

C++ How to program 9th Edition has been updated for C++11, but it appears to be a bolt on. Again, pointers are mentioned, this time without even talking about alternatives... C++ pointers have to wait until chapter 17 and 23, so basically the back. auto isn't mentioned until half way through the book, lamdas until 3/4 the way. Basically it looks like this revision just had the C++11 stuff bolted on.

C++ Primer Plus, 5th Edition doesn't even talk about memory management until chapter 12... at all! This sounds bad but isn't, this is a very very very good approach to teaching C++. Then it introduces memory management using C++ style memory management, and has the warning "Until you have read Chapter 13, your classes should allocate dynamic memory only if they use smart pointers to manage that memory." Impressed. It looks like C++ Primer Plus is the only one of the three prior books that didn't just bolt the C++11 stuff on top.

So, from my initial scans, I would recommend C++ Primer Plus 5th Edition or C++ for the Impatient, if you have prior programming experience.

That said, I only have access to the Safari books, which doesn't include Bjarne's book, the C++ Programming Language, which may or may not have been updated. That is a really really really dry book though, so even if it has been updated, it can be a bit difficult to read.

get Effective C++

Absolutely - it's one of the most helpful books I've read... but as Serapth said, you do need to know C++ quite well before it will be of any use.

Not to repeat myself: http://www.gamedev.net/topic/642074-accelerated-c-or-programming-principles-and-practice-using-c/#entry5055213 :-)

TL;DR: I'd go with "C++ Primer, 5th Edition" by Stanley B. Lippman, Josée LaJoie, Barbara E. Moo.

// NOT "C++ Primer Plus" by Prata -- HORRIBLE book!

Id go for "Beginning C++ Through Game Programming" by Michael Dawson. Its a good book for complete beginners and is not a daunting 1000 page tome like other books.

I think i order the Primer Plus 5th Edition but i dont really know what is better, should i order that book or c++ for the impatient?

thanks for the help really!

i dont need a book from the complete beginning but thanks! :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement