C++ programing book and game developing

Started by
30 comments, last by xREXISx 10 years, 9 months ago

im going to order "C++ For The Impatient" for 63$ and i found a full pdf version of Primer Plus 5th Edition,

the primer plus 5th is a problem for me to buy because it will ship only in 5 weeks (not including the time it will take to get to my city) and it cost double if i select a faster delivery..

Thanks a lot for the help ! :)

Advertisement
If you have a small amount of programming skill, that was probably a good choice. If you have no prior experience you may struggle a little bit.

It's funny you went with the impatient title because the other one was going to take too long! :)

On that note, 5 weeks, wtf?

i do have prior experience :)

Yeah lol.. i think the 5 weeks thing is because im from Israel.

i hope i did a good choice by ordering this one :P

thanks for your help!

MzDay: I'd sincerely advise you *AGAINST* getting "C++ Primer Plus" by Stephen Prata, it's an AWFUL book which is only going to teach you bad practices, which you then are going to have to un-learn. This will only slow you down when trying to write your own mini-projects on the side (and taking this active approach is *the* way to learn, reading is necessary but not sufficient) and you're only going to waste your time this way.

I'd definitely recommend getting "C++ Primer, 5th Edition" by Stanley B. Lippman, Josée LaJoie, Barbara E. Moo instead.

Even just going through Part I of it (only 305 pages, I think that's shorter than any other book suggested here? with Part II it's still less 500 pages and covers tons more stuff than most books of even larger size) is better for starters than reading _entire_ "C++ Primer Plus" by Stephen Prata.

If you want to have a complete book which is short and you're fine with getting something pre-C++11 (some books suggested here were published in 2010 or earlier), then it's much better to go with "Accelerated C++ Practical Programming by Example" by Andrew Koenig and Barbara E. Moo. // http://www.acceleratedcpp.com/

Again, it's 350 pages in total, and going through these is going to make you a much better programmer than wasting time on 700+ pages of "C++ on Impatient" or the Prata's book.

Last but not least -- by "going through" I mean the *active* approach (including but not limited to doing all the programming exercises and your own mini-game projects (start with simple, text-based stuff as soon as you feel ready using the concepts you're learning as you go along) on the side), not just *passive* reading (this won't make you a programmer).

I know I can safely recommend "C++ Primer, 5th Edition" or "Accelerated C++", since their programming exercises are pretty good, too (in fact, perhaps the ones in the second one are somewhat better -- "AC++" has fewer but more "ambitious" exercises, some of which are mini-programming projects (which is a good thing!), "C++P" has more exercises but many of them are very minimal -- it all depends on your individual preferred learning style, though, I suppose). I didn't see other books praised for their practical aspects -- which IMHO should tell you something.

I actually ordered already C++ for Impatient and i dont really mind reading 700 pages.

i will practice and make mini projects and games :)

um.. you think the book i ordered isnt that good? i mean, will it teach me every thing i need to know on c++? (of course not everything but at least what i need)

after reading this book i will order the Effective C++ book and on the way will make mini games and try to improve them in time :)

by the way, i got the book "Opengl programming guide 8th edition" that just came out and i will learn from it Opengl, do you think its good? or should i learn from other book or a good tutorial from the web?

thanks!

For graphic tutorials, this is a fantastic resource :

http://www.rastertek.com/tutindex.html

A wealth of information on both DirectX and OpenGL.

none of it is complete it..

what about the book i got? its not good?

thanks

Don't worry, the book you got is fine.

The only book that people are saying is bad is C++ Primer Plus, which has a very similar title to C++ Primer, which is the other book I recommended to you.

Ok thanks! :)

lol i cant wait i started already from other sites :P

Have a look at www.MarekKnows.com and follow along with the video tutorials to help you learn to program in C++ and make games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement