GDnet Birthday Thread

Started by
36 comments, last by Josip Mati? 10 years, 10 months ago

Well someone can make it and have the community maintain it. You have an army of programmers at your disposal you know biggrin.png

On-topic: Is there a theme for GD.net's birthday? Contest? Prizes? Make Cornstalks Overlord for a day? Bring back the Javascript Floating Wheel of Text Death?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement

Ok, congratulating?Your 14 birthday, my first daysleep.png

I feel like it was yesterday that Game Programmers Megasite and Game Programming 99 (?) combined.

That theme was my favorite and I still miss it. I wish I could get it back somehow.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

Happy Birthday, GD.net!

Though I haven't been around long or been as social as I have been recently, I have read many articles and threads that contain very useful information and have helped me learn some excellent things! I love this site! :)

Here's to at least 14 more, very happy years! *raises beer*

My website! yodamanjer.com
My development blog!

Follow me on Twitter! [twitter]jwg1991[/twitter]

This is the version I remember the most vividly: http://web.archive.org/web/20010823002101/http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/

Ha! me too. Want to see something hilariously old?

Follow that link, go to the lounge and look at the "Pictures of YOU!" thread. Unfortunately most of the imgs are broken links, but still some good ones there. What's awesome is that no-one had a digital camera, so we had to resort to scanning in printed photos. Christ, even the idea of it feels like chipping stone tablets to write smile.png

Bring back the Javascript Floating Wheel of Text Death?

Along with the best reaction ever...

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

I am rather new to this site. But I must say it delivers the support with out question a developer needs. Especially, in the forum section which is critical at the time a developers project release whether it be a small game/utility or a huge game project.

I thank you and HAPPY BIRTHDAY Gamedev.net.......From Counteractman biggrin.png

Happy birthday GameDev biggrin.png GameDev started on 15 June, 14 years ago and I became a member on 18 June, 1 year ago. Our birth date is so close ! (not the birth year though tongue.png)

To follow the path:

look to the master,

follow the master,

walk with the master,

see through the master,

become the master.

http://kazisami.wordpress.com/

Wait, I thought GameDev's birthday is January 1st?

Been here nearly eight years.

Nope.. June 15th.. it was going to be June 1st but we had to push back the launch a bit. Remember, it was a bunch of our smaller sites all joining together to pool resources and create a better community. =)

I'm trying to remember now... it was what, GameDev.net, flipcode, and the game dev dictionary, or something like that, right?

Man, it's been a while since I have been around here. I guess getting married and doing a Master's in computer science keeps a person busy.

EDIT: I just checked: Member Since 24 Jan 2000. W00t. Also, floorcaek. Does thesenshi/facehat or cow_in_the_well ever show up in these parts anymore?

Wait, I thought GameDev's birthday is January 1st?

Been here nearly eight years.

Nope.. June 15th.. it was going to be June 1st but we had to push back the launch a bit. Remember, it was a bunch of our smaller sites all joining together to pool resources and create a better community. =)

I'm trying to remember now... it was what, GameDev.net, flipcode, and the game dev dictionary, or something like that, right?

Man, it's been a while since I have been around here. I guess getting married and doing a Master's in computer science keeps a person busy.

EDIT: I just checked: Member Since 24 Jan 2000. W00t. Also, floorcaek. Does thesenshi/facehat or cow_in_the_well ever show up in these parts anymore?

It was gameprog.com (Game Programming 99), Sweet Oblivion, and devgames.com that teamed up.. The dictionary was a project we worked on together.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement