Where should I start?

Started by
16 comments, last by marcClintDion 10 years, 10 months ago

Well, I'm a little bit frustrated with this, I don't know where to start at!

I was looking a few tutorials about DirectX, like DirectXTutorials (I think this is far the best, but it isn't free.), rastertek (I don't know, It's code seems a bit harder for me, I think the first tutorials doesn't explain too much about DX...). I was looking for some OpenGL tutorials too, but, I found it like a pine in the a** to setup OpenGL, even I tried to run some tutorials and i get hundreds of compiling errors, so...

What do you recommend to me to start with? I found programming really exciting and usually I have no trouble understanding new topics, but wow, I really don't know where to start...

Btw, apologies for my English, i'm from Venezuela (yeah, Chavez!) and English is not my fort.

Advertisement

How long have you been working in C++? I don't do much C++ but some people really like the SFML and Allegro libraries. They are a little more "user friendly" than openGL.

(Your English is very good, just pine is a tree, I think you meant pain. But pine in the a** makes sense too, it would be pricklyph34r.png).

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

Since OpenGL and DirectX are just graphics APIs, you might want to start with a 3D engine instead if you are just starting out.

I quite like Irrlicht since it provides a lot of functionality to get started quickly with C++ and 3D.

As minibutmany suggested Allegro is a good one too but I find SFML still a little bit too low level if you are starting out since it doesn't provide much more than resource loading and a rendering context.

http://tinyurl.com/shewonyay - Thanks so much for those who voted on my GF's Competition Cosplay Entry for Cosplayzine. She won! I owe you all beers :)

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.

How long have you been working in C++?

Haha, yeah, pain, sorry for that. Well, I'm most experienced with C#, since I started studying at the university, that's the most used language here (along with Java), but, when I was looking for some options to start in game development, I notice that many people says C# is to slow for making games, and they highly recommend C++, since then I have been learning C++ (I think 3 or 4 months ago..). So, new question, Is it a bad choice changing to C++? Is C# a bad choice for game development? What do you think?

I used c# for a little while. I didn't like the .NET framework very much(partially because of some performance problems, but it should be fine for making games) so I moved to Java which I really love. Java with LWJGL or Slick2D is very good. What ever you feel is best for you I suppose. Try making some games in C# and Java, and if your not liking it than try a move to C++.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

I quite like Irrlicht since it provides a lot of functionality to get started quickly with C++ and 3D.

I've been looking the Irrlicht engine, it seems pretty nice, do you have any tutorials or anything else about this engine?

Try making some games in C# and Java, and if your not liking it than try a move to C++.

Well, It seems to be a big decision, I mean, picking a language... C# and XNA only supports Windows and Xbox, I really think C# is a very nice language, straightforward, but I'm not that conviced on It for making games... And Java, well, pretty much the same thing, excepting It's portability. Anyway, I'm looking for opinions!

I'm thinking to start learning C++ more deeper (IDK if deeper is the word I'm looking for, lol), so, can anyone recommend some libraries, or engines to start? I've been looking "SDL", "Irrlicth", and "Allegro"...

Btw, just for curiosity, how old were you when you start programming? I'm 18 years old and I've been programming in C# since I was 16, is it a good age to start C++? rolleyes.gif

Well,I am trying to learn Directx as well,and yeh Rastartek's tutorials are : | ...In my opinion book is the fastest way to learn it...

Opengl?There's book,I checked it and it seems quite informative : http://www.arcsynthesis.org/gltut/ released one year ago

I'm 15 and I've been coding since I was 10, but I didn't get really serious about it until about 2 years ago.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

I'm 15 and I've been coding since I was 10, but I didn't get really serious about it until about 2 years ago.

Lol, thats really nice. Don't you have any nice project you can show us?

Well,I am trying to learn Directx as well,and yeh Rastartek's tutorials are : | ...In my opinion book is the fastest way to learn it...

Don't you have experience with an engine, anything to recommend?

If you're going for 2D graphics in C++, I would recommend SFML. It is object-oriented so the interface is much easier to use and it lets you use OpenGL with it if you would like.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement