Medieval online sim, overall feedback

Started by
6 comments, last by Acharis 10 years, 9 months ago

I have been doing this game for so long that I lost perspective smile.png I have redesigned it several times, add/removed/redid features, and well, now I'm lost and have no clue if the game is good or not, if I should continue redesigning it or just polish it and release.

Please, a HONEST opinion would be nice.

The most important question is if this game:

A) is good enough, and I should just polish it and release

B) there are major problems with the game and I should redesign it

Also I would like some "first time impression" (if you are confused what to do as a player, etc).

Link: http://europe1300.eu (it's a brower game, require registering, but I guess, considering the number of post I made about this game, anyone who read my topics have an idea what it is already smile.png)

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Advertisement
  • It is hard to know what to do. A todo-list would be nice to have, with a guide to get started. You don't have to create complete quests but just something to get through the first
  • The UI is a bit messy in the sense that many things seems to be equally prioritized. I think you should look through typographics and styling of texts/boxes and pick a color theme and font themes to create categories of content.
  • Headlines are missing in each tab- there is no indicator of "where I am" in the UI.
  • The hierarchy of game content is a bit clear - what is my charcter and what is my city and how are they interracting?
  • I started in the city of vilnius but now I think I am in Amsterdam - how did that happen and how do I return home?

-Aliasign (pixeley edges) with the graphics on the site

-Didnt see the create character title at first, also if i shouldnt access the other tabs while creating character, hide them

-When in city view and click lets say "visitors" it would be nice if i could close that by lets say reclicking visitors instead of having to go back or use the city button to reload the page

-I assume the paint graphics are not final. Not that theyre a problem, i wouldnt mind if they stayed that way xD

-When buying and enter a number for how many id like to see how much itll cost

-The repeat action X times when making items in workshops seems to always try to make 1 too many when below 10 so it wont work

-Make the interface more streamlined:

*Update the numbers dynamically (so if i buy something, my money should be updated to show the correct amount)

*Try to avoid reloading the page when switching menus and tabs and updating, instead use some fancy web techs when possible. (this can be annoying if theres a lot of navigating. Probably horrible on a high latency internet connection)

*Hide nonrelevant options and menus (if there are requirements to access though you should probably show them)

Overall it seemed fairly simple to play - i intentionally did not read the how to play (other than having to get materials from outskirts and craft stuff in workshop) and doubled my wealth by setting up a successful barrel production corporation. But like with all web games, i probably wont ever visit it again (+ for delete account option!) :P

o3o

It is hard to know what to do. A todo-list would be nice to have, with a guide to get started. You don't have to create complete quests but just something to get through the first

The orange bar with "?" icon is a tutorial with a ToDo list one by one. Have you noticed it? If yes, was it unclear/insufficient?

I started in the city of vilnius but now I think I am in Amsterdam - how did that happen and how do I return home?

The city you start in is your HomeCity. When you travel (map) you move, but the home city does not change. You need to travel back to your home city (and your field and workshop).

-I assume the paint graphics are not final. Not that theyre a problem, i wouldnt mind if they stayed that way xD

Nope, these are not final smile.png And, yeah, I noticed there are some twisted minded people who actually like the current graphics "drawn" by me smile.png But I think for majority of normal healthy players I should do a more decent graphics biggrin.png

i intentionally did not read the how to play (other than having to get materials from outskirts and craft stuff in workshop)

You mean, you have read/followed the tutorial (orange bar)? But not the big HowToPlay?

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

I tried this out, but I don't usually play this kind of game, so I'm not sure how relevant my comments are. Mainly I didn't get what the goal of earning money was, or what the goal of participating in battles was. One minor specific thing was that when I logged in for the second time I didn't notice that I had to click "continue" and when I clicked on the circle buttons and they didn't do anything I thought something was broken.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

I played this from when I was on bbgames. I am pretty far. What I don't like is I have a shit ton of votes but they don't seem to count for others or me. I should be able to elect myself king of france. I switch back to craftsmen to get rich but when I was a knight it wouldn't let me win.

I played this from when I was on bbgames. I am pretty far. What I don't like is I have a shit ton of votes but they don't seem to count for others or me. I should be able to elect myself king of france. I switch back to craftsmen to get rich but when I was a knight it wouldn't let me win.

You need to be a secular noble in order to be electable as a ruler (you probably became a throne pretendent in the old version where there was no such restriction; therefore you are not a valid pretendent anymore and the game nullified all the votes (it's a double protection against bugs, you should be not able to change profession as long as you a pretendent, but again that was introduced after you became a pretendent)). I suggest to just resign from throne pretendency, then switch to a noble profession (non clergy) and become a pretendent again (resigning from throne pretendency does not invalid the votes of others cast on you before, their votes will become valid again once you become a valid throne pretendent, so you don't lose anything by that move).

Thanks everyone, especially those who don't play this kind of game and registered just to give me feedback...

Strangely, none of you pointed the things I was worried about, so I will just polish what already is and do not mess up with any big redesign :)

Thanks again.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement