Sign in to follow this  
devdber

low perfomance

devdber    173

Hello again, i have an another problem with dx11. When i tried to implement my sprite class i spoted that my scene draws slower... i checked fps and it was about 6k when there's nothing to draw and 4.8-5k when single sprite is on the screen... it that problem in my implementation or this is the way it's meant to be?

Edited by devdber

Brother Bob    10344

One cannot say anything from those numbers. It may very well be normal and everything is fine with your sprites. It may also be something really wrong, but it's not possible to say because the numbers are so high they really don't have any practical meaning. If you cannot maintain a desired frame rate, then you have a problem.

GeneralQuery    1263

As others have stated, attempting to read anything from such high frame rates is meaningless other than "doing something takes longer than doing nothing". As a side note, I like to use a more revealing metric such as pixels per second (or megapixels per second) in conjunction with frames per second.

0r0d    1929

But i cant understand - is it normal or there's problem?

thanks for your answer

It's normal.  When you're doing basically nothing the render loop will run insanely fast.  This is what you'd expect, right?  Then you do something, even rendering a single triangle, will cause the framerate to drop significantly.  Like others already pointed out, it's because you were already spending a tiny amount of time on each frame, and now you're spending a tiny amount plus another tiny amount.  If that new tiny amount is 2x the previous tiny amount, it means that your framerate is now 1/2 what it was before.