low perfomance

Started by
11 comments, last by Servant of the Lord 10 years, 6 months ago

Hello again, i have an another problem with dx11. When i tried to implement my sprite class i spoted that my scene draws slower... i checked fps and it was about 6k when there's nothing to draw and 4.8-5k when single sprite is on the screen... it that problem in my implementation or this is the way it's meant to be?

Sorry for my English.

Advertisement

A drop from 6000 FPS to 5000 FPS is equivalent to a drop from 60 FPS to ~59.9 FPS. Measure performance in linear time instead of non-linear FPS, and the drop corresponds to roughly 30 microseconds, while a frame at 60 FPS is about 17000 microseconds.

Don't worry about your 1000 FPS drop from 6000 FPS. Instead, worry when you drop 10 FPS from 60 FPS instead.

But i cant understand - is it normal or there's problem?

thanks for your answer

Sorry for my English.

One cannot say anything from those numbers. It may very well be normal and everything is fine with your sprites. It may also be something really wrong, but it's not possible to say because the numbers are so high they really don't have any practical meaning. If you cannot maintain a desired frame rate, then you have a problem.

It is normal that doing something takes longer than doing nothing.

As others have stated, attempting to read anything from such high frame rates is meaningless other than "doing something takes longer than doing nothing". As a side note, I like to use a more revealing metric such as pixels per second (or megapixels per second) in conjunction with frames per second.

FPS verses millaseconds-per-frame:

As Brother Bob is saying, only gamers measure in FPS, because FPS is almost meaningless. Game developers usually measure the amount of time a frame takes in millaseconds (1/1000th of a second) or in microseconds (1/1,000,000 of a second). At the very least, developers need to understand the difference between FPS and actual frame speeds.

Observe:

1 FPS = 1000 millaseconds a frame.

2 FPS = 500 millaseconds a frame.

3 FPS = 333 millaseconds a frame.

4 FPS = 250 millaseconds a frame.

10 FPS = 100 millaseconds a frame.

50 FPS = 20 millaseconds a frame.

100 FPS = 10 millaseconds a frame.

FPS is a misleading measurement. It's accurate, but can confuse you if you don't understand how it is measured.

From 1 FPS to 2 FPS is 500 millaseconds more being taken by every frame.

From 50 FPS to 100 FPS is only 10 millaseconds more being taken by every frame.

As Brother Bob said, "A drop from 6000 FPS to 5000 FPS is equivalent to a drop from 60 FPS to ~59.9 FPS". 1000 FPS lost when you are at 6000 FPS, is as small and insignificant as dropping from 60 FPS to 59.9 FPS.

"Economies of scale":

In addition to all the above, it's also good to remember that sometimes doing something (like drawing a sprite) might have alot of one-time setup costs.

Theoretical example: What's the difference between drawing 1 sprite and 5 sprites?

One sprite:

- Bind shader (let's pretend it takes 20 imaginary time units).

- Bind texture (let's pretend it takes 10 ITUs).

- Translate to the location (2 ITUs)

- Render the sprite (3 ITUs)

Total (theoretical) cost: 35 ITUs. Cost per sprite: 35 ITUs.

Five sprites:

- Bind shader (20 ITUs)

- Bind texture for sprite A (10 ITUs)

- Translate to location sprite A (2 ITUs)

- Render the sprite A (3 ITUs)

- Sprite A and B share the same texture, so we skip rebinding the texture.

- Translate to the location B (2 ITUs)

- Render the sprite B (3 ITUs)

- Bind texture for sprite C (10 ITUs)

- Translate to sprite location C (2 ITUs)

- Render the sprite C (3 ITUs)

- Bind texture for sprite D (10 ITUs)

- Translate to sprite location D (2 ITUs)

- Render the sprite D (3 ITUs)

- Sprite D and E share the same texture, so we skip rebinding the texture.

- Translate to sprite location E (2 ITUs)

- Render the sprite E (3 ITUs)

Total (theoretical) cost for 5 sprites: 55 ITUs. Cost per sprite 11 ITUs.

When worried about your program's performance:

There's a general rule of thumb programmers have for when looking at the speed of your program: "Don't look at the speed of your program."

Or rather, the actual statement is, "Don't optimize prematurely". Make what you are going to make, and if (when all the fancy numbers are hidden) it noticeably runs too slow, then optimize to make it faster. But if your game runs fine, ignore the numbers, focus on the gameplay. You might even want to hide the numbers (like millasecond framerates and FPS), just so you aren't distracted by them, and only turn the numbers on when it starts to feel too slow. Then you use a profiler and see what parts are actually taking the most time (don't guess - measure with a profiler), then fix those areas.

Also, when worried about performance, make sure you are running in "release mode" rather than "debug mode", because debug mode adds in alot of extra invisible code to help with debugging, that sometimes make your program run slower than it'll actually run when released to users.

tldr: Yes, your program is working fine. laugh.png

But i cant understand - is it normal or there's problem?

thanks for your answer

It's normal. When you're doing basically nothing the render loop will run insanely fast. This is what you'd expect, right? Then you do something, even rendering a single triangle, will cause the framerate to drop significantly. Like others already pointed out, it's because you were already spending a tiny amount of time on each frame, and now you're spending a tiny amount plus another tiny amount. If that new tiny amount is 2x the previous tiny amount, it means that your framerate is now 1/2 what it was before.

As SotL pointed out above, actual time is a much better metric.

My preference is a trio of numbers, updated once per second:

Min microseconds / avg microseconds / max microseconds.

For your app it would look something like this:

150 / 180 / 190

And before your change it probably looked something like this:

145 / 160 / 190

As long as the numbers are less than 10'000 or so you don't need to be overly concerned.

If they last number is much bigger than the other two then you need to worry; that means one frame is stalling and you need to fix it. ('Much' bigger meaning several thousand microseconds.)

Otherwise, just learn that all code has a cost. In practice, the actual cost is typically much smaller than you expect.

massive wall of awesome...

I think you should seriously converting that to an article.

I'd click the magic moderator "promote to article" button, but I don't want to steal your thunder smile.png

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement