Sign in to follow this  
hpdvs2

What is an Art Bible? And any tips to make one better?

hpdvs2    1017

My graphics team is about to put together an art bible for a game we have in progress.  I've heard the term before, but I don't really know what that is beyond vague impressions.  

So my questions are:

How would you define an art bible? 

What is its purpose?

What sections or things does it typically have?

Any tips for making a good one?

And of course feel free to answer important questions I didn't even know to ask.

Thanks.

(I should include that I tried searching it, but I only came up with religious artwork.)

Edited by Dan Violet Sagmiller

phil_t    8084

So your team has no idea what it is or what it's used for, but is still going to make one? ???

Sorry, I have no idea either. Never heard of the term.

hpdvs2    1017

Sorry, let me explain.  I haven't heard the term.  My graphics team has.  As the lead designer on the team, I'm interested in making sure we are getting the most out of our designs, and as this art bible appears to be for graphic design, I'd like to make sure we get the most out of it that is reasonable/effective.

Thanks.

Orymus3    18821

We tend to make our art bibles initially with just reference art, to give the feel every aspect of the game (rendering of UI, game elements, etc).

As we go, we revise our art bible with in-game assets and an explanation of how each component attains its goal in regards to the original vision (and how it has evolved).

hpdvs2    1017

Very clear answer, thanks!

An art bible is a reference document where you record art-related decisions you make, so that later you can check and see what you decided and keep things consistent.  Common things in an art bible are color palettes, a humanoid proportion reference for the chosen style, character blueprints aka turnarounds, ditto for monsters, collections of reference images or sketches defining architectural style or clothing fashions or vehicles or weapons, etc., a master list of animations needed, a master list of icons needed, a master list of all third-party art assets you are going to use and their licenses, GUI concept art, font concept art if you are making any original fonts, and all other concept art.