What is an Art Bible? And any tips to make one better?

Started by
5 comments, last by Tom Sloper 10 years, 10 months ago

My graphics team is about to put together an art bible for a game we have in progress. I've heard the term before, but I don't really know what that is beyond vague impressions.

So my questions are:

How would you define an art bible?

What is its purpose?

What sections or things does it typically have?

Any tips for making a good one?

And of course feel free to answer important questions I didn't even know to ask.

Thanks.

(I should include that I tried searching it, but I only came up with religious artwork.)

Moltar - "Do you even know how to use that?"

Space Ghost - “Moltar, I have a giant brain that is able to reduce any complex machine into a simple yes or no answer."

Dan - "Best Description of AI ever."

Advertisement

So your team has no idea what it is or what it's used for, but is still going to make one? ???

Sorry, I have no idea either. Never heard of the term.

Sorry, let me explain. I haven't heard the term. My graphics team has. As the lead designer on the team, I'm interested in making sure we are getting the most out of our designs, and as this art bible appears to be for graphic design, I'd like to make sure we get the most out of it that is reasonable/effective.

Thanks.

Space Ghost - “Moltar, I have a giant brain that is able to reduce any complex machine into a simple yes or no answer."

An art bible is a reference document where you record art-related decisions you make, so that later you can check and see what you decided and keep things consistent. Common things in an art bible are color palettes, a humanoid proportion reference for the chosen style, character blueprints aka turnarounds, ditto for monsters, collections of reference images or sketches defining architectural style or clothing fashions or vehicles or weapons, etc., a master list of animations needed, a master list of icons needed, a master list of all third-party art assets you are going to use and their licenses, GUI concept art, font concept art if you are making any original fonts, and all other concept art.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

We tend to make our art bibles initially with just reference art, to give the feel every aspect of the game (rendering of UI, game elements, etc).

As we go, we revise our art bible with in-game assets and an explanation of how each component attains its goal in regards to the original vision (and how it has evolved).

Very clear answer, thanks!

An art bible is a reference document where you record art-related decisions you make, so that later you can check and see what you decided and keep things consistent. Common things in an art bible are color palettes, a humanoid proportion reference for the chosen style, character blueprints aka turnarounds, ditto for monsters, collections of reference images or sketches defining architectural style or clothing fashions or vehicles or weapons, etc., a master list of animations needed, a master list of icons needed, a master list of all third-party art assets you are going to use and their licenses, GUI concept art, font concept art if you are making any original fonts, and all other concept art.

Another term for "art bible" is "style guide."

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement