DirectX 11 API Beginner book? advise? help!

Started by
6 comments, last by AkALoPi 10 years, 10 months ago
Hi everyone this has probably been asked a thousand time but honestly i have googled it and i have looked alot of places so please dont flame me but I need to know with directx 11 i know this is going to be the future of gaming since both the xbox one and ps4 are confirmed running on the systems we have another 10 years before we get new consoles so dirext x 11 seems pretty good BUT im rambling
My question is this for directx 11 is there a great api book thats teaches you everything like the meaning for every statment and why you need them and what they do
just like a c++ book that teaches you what code does what and hw to use that code, I know a decent ammount of C++ but with directx is much harder in my opinion
but really just a beginner dirext x api book thats not out of date and actually teaches you what does what, is there any books of this sort of somewhere that literally teaches you alot more that tutorials on youtube....
Advertisement

Our book (linked below) is aimed a bit more at intermediate graphics developers, but we certainly show you precisely what does what with respect to the rendering and computation pipelines. I have heard lots of good things about the detail of the book, but also some complaints that it isn't geared towards complete newbies of computer graphics. However, you can check out the source code for the books for free, since it is part of the Hieroglyph3 rendering library.

Really the only other good book on D3D11 is from Frank Luna - I have heard good things about it too. So you should check out the table of contents for each and try to decide from there. And of course, if you have questions you can always ask them here!

"practical rendering and computation with direct3d 11" is a good intro to the nitty gritty details od the api.

Really the only other good book on D3D11 is from Frank Luna - I have heard good things about it too. So you should check out the table of contents for each and try to decide from there. And of course, if you have questions you can always ask them here!

I also "vote" for this book.

alright thanks guys and i have his book on directx 10 i believe 11 and 10 are very similar and 11 is only an addon to directx 10 so this is fine

my questions is also would learning directx 9 help me understand Dx11 api any better?

Direct3D 10.x and 11.x are quite similar but there are some changes (like the device context and the tesselation pipeline), anyways its easy to convert D3D10 code to D3D11 code...

Avoid learning DirectX 9: quite always has changed since DirectX 10 and you will find a lot easier to learn Direct3D 1x.x then 9.xx.

some books and material:

To begin: "Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 11" (by Frank Luna)

To clearly understand the API: "Practical Rendering and Computation with Direct3D 11" (by Jason Zink, Matt Pettineo, Jack Hoxley)

Free stuff and support:

MSDN library (as reference.. let it always be with you)

Rastertek http://www.rastertek.com/tutindex.html (good to see some basic techniques, and the terrain tutorials are good to build a some simple games)

braynzarsoft http://www.braynzarsoft.net/index.php?p=DX11Lessons

Some "advanced" samples:

the "good and old" DX June 2010 SDK

Radeon SDK (and in general the entire dev. site)

NVIDIA DX SDKs (and in general the entire dev. site)

google (yes, there are tons of papers and conference presentations around the web)

"Recursion is the first step towards madness." - "Skegg?ld, Skálm?ld, Skildir ro Klofnir!"
Direct3D 12 quick reference: https://github.com/alessiot89/D3D12QuickRef/

Beginning Directx11 Game Programming by Allen Sherrod and Wendy Jones covers the basics and is a good starting point also.

Thanks guys really you guys are straight awesome

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement