Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DarrenVortex

Unity
3D Object Manipulation Mobile Game Development Framework

6 posts in this topic

I know I know it's a pretty long title! smile.png

Well I guess I should say Hi first since I'm a newbie in Gamedev.net and this is my first post...

Oh well, I guess I'll go right to the point then!

I'm a programmer. I've explored many aspects of programming so I know basic computer science stuff (I'm actually language-independent now!), and now I want to make a game! Luckily, I have a designer who's made me a 3D spaceship in 3Ds Max, and right now all I really want to do is:

1. Create an phone game app (Preferably compilable for both Android & iOS)

2. Import the spaceship model (I have it in .obj format right now but max can convert to some other formats as well.)

3. Make it move up and down!

I have many options in front of me: Cocos3d, Unity3d, jMonkeyEngine, and similar libraries / frameworks. But I don't really know where to start. I've tried some but haven't quite found the ideal choice yet. Things that affect my choice of framework are:

1. I hate Unity since it's GUI dependent, and I'm a low-level programmer (I see the world in text-based!). I don't use IDEs for app development, just a text editor and a Console + simply reading the doc and calling the APIs from code. I just want a framework / lib, not an entire SDK.

2. I'm still a beginner in game dev, so simple-to-follow and complete documentation and an easy-to-start-with library.

3. Easy 3D Support

Now with these said, what do the masters suggest me to use?

Edited by DarrenVortex

+1 Unity3d.  Also a programmer background (12+ years), language independent.  Scene view is almost optional, but mostly it just spares you the grind of managing basic views.

I love it most because of the documentation.  Every part of the API has a page and a good C# example of how to use it.  That factor alone makes it programmer easy-mode.

+1 Unity3d.  Also a programmer background (12+ years), language independent.  Scene view is almost optional, but mostly it just spares you the grind of managing basic views.
I love it most because of the documentation.  Every part of the API has a page and a good C# example of how to use it.  That factor alone makes it programmer easy-mode.

+1 As visual as I am, I am all code based. Unity also allows me to be free and concentrate on design.

Another Unity vote.

You start out saying you are a programmer.  That is fine.

Then you describe doing the job of a designer.  That is also fine.

Games need both.

The visual runtime aspect of Unity is there to help designers.  It is not the only view of the game, and it is a view that programmers will use only to test their code.  Programmers using Unity will see all the code they want.

Your game will probably also need more models, animations, vfx, audio, and other elements.  You say you have only a single model, but one model and an up/down animation generally does not complete a full 3D game.  Very few 3D games can be implemented with a single 3D model and no animation.  Unity makes it easy to mix all of those components.

Either that, or you can write your own engine, decode your own animations, write your own animation control system, implement an audio library and add hookups between animation scripts and code.  And on, and on, and on.  It is much easier to go with an established engine like Unity.

Another Unity vote.

You start out saying you are a programmer.  That is fine.

Then you describe doing the job of a designer.  That is also fine.

Games need both.

The visual runtime aspect of Unity is there to help designers.  It is not the only view of the game, and it is a view that programmers will use only to test their code.  Programmers using Unity will see all the code they want.

Your game will probably also need more models, animations, vfx, audio, and other elements.  You say you have only a single model, but one model and an up/down animation generally does not complete a full 3D game.  Very few 3D games can be implemented with a single 3D model and no animation.  Unity makes it easy to mix all of those components.

Either that, or you can write your own engine, decode your own animations, write your own animation control system, implement an audio library and add hookups between animation scripts and code.  And on, and on, and on.  It is much easier to go with an established engine like Unity.

+1111111

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By Altri
      Arena Of Glory
      a mobile moba game
      The Idea
      There's a lot of mobas out in the market right now. On PC at least, most don't do any good. The big 3 (LoL, Smite, Dota2) outshine any new moba coming out, but it's a different story when it comes to mobile gaming. The only quality moba game on mobile at the time of writing this is Vainglory, a 3v3 battle arena game "perfected for touch". The rest are cheap league of legends clones some of which literally use stolen models and sound effects. I'd like to create a better moba on mobile phones. Something that you can truly play anywhere without having to bring your iPad to play comfortably like Vainglory. A moba game truly perfected for touch with a 5v5 battle mode.
      The Team
      Currently there's 2 people in the team, possibly 3 (talking to possible concept artist as I write this). We're both programmers. It's always been our goal to make games. After some school and more self teaching, we have finally made it to a point where we can write games.  Of course, you might see right away how this is an issue. We can't do art. I mean I have tried but I can't do anything digitally.
      Current Progress
      Well, we have been working on the game for a 1 and 3-4 months. We have most of the core features done and even have temp maps put in place to test along with cheap 3d models. The game is working, only that in it's current state it can only do 3v3 battles. (Originally we were going to keep it 3v3 but later changed our minds.) We have a poorly made UI that is not appealing in any way, but can get the job done as we continue. 
      We have: Nickname choosing , friends list, tutorial for beginners,  gold: currency gained through playing and premium currency (in app purchase) to buy skins, etc. Hero list, 3v3 battle mode.. we have most of the core done.
      What's left: Implement 5v5 battles, World Chat, User Registration check (so that you never lose your account), new UI/UX/HUD & New artwork (new hero concepts, 3d models, logo, etc). 
      What we Need
      I realize this is a big project. We need people who are passionate about game design/development. People who can stick around because they love the project or just love game making in general. There's a huge opportunity for us in the mobile market and we want to offer revenue share and equity to artists and programmers that would want to jump on board. Stick through and you'll see that your time will not be wasted. 
      How to contact
      I guess you can PM me here or add me on Discord @ Altri#7510.
      You may also email me @ plus5interactive@gmail.com.

Thank you so much for your time,
      Altri

[SCREENSHOT ADDED]
      Keep in mind we don't plan to use any of our current assets. We want everything made organically by our team and have our own unique style.

• By Gabriel_Solon
       Hi, this is a fighting project that im making for a month now.

The game mechanics work like this:
       - There are 3 stances, low, mid and high, each one starts a combo, it also blocks any attack coming from the same stance.
       - Special Attacks are unblockable unless a Special Defense (dashes or parries) is engaged       -(Not yet properly implemented)
       - Special moves have a 5 second cooldown
       - I intend on having 3 characters with distinct weapons and fighting styles based on Historical/Mithical personalities

Tell me what do you think
    • By NeroGame
      hey everyone!
      so im trying to create an in game shope to spend the in game currency and i want the kind of shop that when you touch the skin you unlock it and select it (i've tried several ways didnt work only with a button ) so can anyone please help
    • By Strychnine
      As my title says I'm experience web developer that's been doing so for 20 years as a hobby and 10 years professionally. I dabble in tons of languages and frameworks and I'm not afraid to look at any.
      I've worked in some .NET stuff for some websites so I could probably have less learning curve with C# but I'm completely willing to work in C++ as well. In general I love programming stuff and figuring out things. Especially ones I broke. 
      Ideally I'd like to work in a team either looking to learn together or something very patient and laid back. While i'm a very good programmer in the web sense I know I will need to learn some things on the application side. So patience and a group not looking to run to steam immediately would be ideal. I've watched videos and am continuing to, but I know I always just work better hands on and sadly i'm not as artistic as I like to be.
      Thanks for your time.
      Current skill list: PHP, MySQL, Moderate C#, ReactJS, VueJS, NPM, LEMP/LAMP/IIS Server stacks(not relevant here but I understand server administration as well), as well as other stuff here and there but these are the most dominant things I work in.
    • By MetalTug
      I'm a college game design major, but I have also picked up on some basic programming.  I've done some stuff in Javascript, AS3, Visual Basic, Stencyl, and I'm now moving into using C# in Unity.  Just as a general programming question, what are some tricks/techniques that any programmer can do, regardless of coding language, to make sure that their game runs as smoothly as it possibly can, in terms of frame rate?
  • Popular Now