To use or not to use bool?

Started by
13 comments, last by Necrosis 22 years, 5 months ago
This has been on my mind recently. I love using bool, bool variables and bool functions (so I get to return true instead of 1). Is there a reason not to? Do bool''s have a higher performance hit then an int (doubting, but it''s better to know for sure)? Also, I do recall something about bool being something microsoft came up with (it''s been a long time, I dont know how true this is) but if that''s the case, it''s not an issue. I have no intention of ever making any of my program''s multi-platform so it all works out If you can read this, All your base are belong to us!
Advertisement
Well, as far as I know bool is part of the C++ standard.
It depends on how you declare it, there is BOOL and then there is bool. BOOL is defined in VC++ and is not part of any standard.
The only drawback to using bool that I know of is no specific error code if a function fails.

Jason Mickela
E-Mail: jmickela@sbcglobal.net
------------------------------
"Evil attacks from all sides
but the greatest evil attacks
from within." Me
------------------------------
"The paths of glory lead but to the grave." - Thomas GrayMy Stupid BlogMy Online Photo Gallery
bool is just a nice way to look at the int version of true/false states. I like to keep using just ints, then can define TRUE = 1, FALSE = 0. That way can do things like multiply the state, whereas it does not make sense to multiply bool * int.
The only advantage over using ints is that a bool is == a char. So a bool is smaller than an int. Other than that, it''s neat to return TRUE rather than 1
quote:Original post by griffenjam
Well, as far as I know bool is part of the C++ standard.

The C standard as well (since 1999), although many C compilers haven''t been updated yet (like MSVC''s C compiler, it won''t let you use bool).

Also, a bool isn''t always one byte. It is normally, but the absolute standard doesn''t set a size in bytes for any type.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
quote:Original post by griffenjam
BOOL is defined in VC++ and is not part of any standard.

BOOL isn''t a VC++ specific type. It''s a typedef in the windows headers. The reason for it is that at the time the Windows headers where written (for the first time) the bool-type wasn''t in the standard.
Excellent, so there should be no excuse for me to not using bool (unless I dont want to)

If you can read this, All your base are belong to us!
I remember reading that the size of a bool was to be one byte - so it''s _bad to use bool''s on a 32bit machine. It''ll have less trouble with BOOLs (since they''re DWORDs). 99.99999% of the time it probably wouldn''t matter, but BOOLs are ever-so slightly faster.

They were mostly added so that you could overload comparative operators properly (==, !=, <, etc...).
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
That''s why I typedefed my own version of bool, so I can select exactly what size I want it to be and have it apply to my entire library.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
In fact, in some CPUs like spark ones.. there are special registers to store and operate bool. So it`s faster.

If brute force does not solve your problem....you''re not using enough!
If brute force does not solve your problem....you're not using enough!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement