How on earth do I start a game?!

Started by
18 comments, last by Khaiy 10 years, 10 months ago

So I was wondering. How and what do I do to start a game? Do I need anything specific other than a language and what do they do in relation to eachother? Also how do I import sounds and sprites? I don't know any of this and this is just a hobby for me because I have way too much spare time.

Advertisement

1. Pick a language and learn to use it

2. Start making a game

3. Make some general framework code to get some structure

4. Use google to find what tools (libraries, engines) there are to do input/output/processing you dont want/cant do yourself

5. Integrate them to your code, use them to implement the features you wanted

6. goto 3

o3o

And i really advise to spend a good amount of time on step 1, and getting a good grasp on the language (whichever you choose), before jumping to step 2.

And i really advise to spend a good amount of time on step 1, and getting a good grasp on the language (whichever you choose), before jumping to step 2.

This is important. Programming isn't really hard, but it isn't easy either. It takes a little time to grasp. Learning to code is much more than just memorizing commands(which actually isn't even so important anymore with IDEs and Google).

Importing sounds and images is going to be different depending on your language. In java, you simply drag the files into a folder in your project and about 1 - 3 lines of code makes into a usable resource.

Many people make their games without any other files than their code. Some of your first projects are just going to be a bunch of simple shapes moving around, so you wont need to import any resources.

On picking a language,

Some people are going to tell you that C++ is the best. Most big game projects are made in C++. C++ is a very good and powerful language, but it is going to take you a lot longer to learn the basics before you can make anything that resembles a game. If you are eager to get started with games right away you may have a better time learning Java, Python, C#, JavaScript, Processing, or Visual Basic. You could also try going code-free with GameMaker Studio.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

2. Can be a part of 1.

Just expect the first games to not be that great.

Start off with text based games because if you go for more complex things youll start needing external libraries and tools which can be difficult to set up and use correctly, greatly slowing down your progress.

o3o

To be honest, you don't even need a language to start. There are good game makers out there like Construct 2 where you can start off with just changing settings and only later adding code whenever you feel it necessary.

That said, feel free to learn a language (I would suggest C++) if you really do have a lot of time on your hands.

1.Try C++ , just learn to create something like tetris / ping-pong etc.DON'T skip pointers,dynamic memory and classes,because these are very important in creating game.

Then you choose;if you want to learn programming + to create a game:

1.Try SFML,then opengl or 2.SDL/SFML,then directx

But remember,programming is not a joke,you will need a desire to create a game to be able to learn it !

If you want just to create a game,after C++ try Unity3D,it's a nice tool for creating games ;] ,HOWEVER,you will not be allowed to sell that game(if you are thinking about a serious game ),it's just for fun.Gl

I've got step-by-step instructions on how to create games on my website www.MarekKnows.com.

You'll want to start simple by first figuring out how to render an image on the screen. Then figure out how to move it, and then add some game logic. Start simple with something like Pong and work your way up.

If you already know some basic c++ and feel somewhat comfortable in it you could go to sdltutorials.com for pretty in depth tutorials and it will get you started with SDL.

I've got step-by-step instructions on how to create games on my website www.MarekKnows.com.

You'll want to start simple by first figuring out how to render an image on the screen. Then figure out how to move it, and then add some game logic. Start simple with something like Pong and work your way up.

Which seem to be behind some kind of complicated paywall / download credit system? This post reads too much like an advertisement for my taste. Please refrain from such content-free posts in the future.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement